• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court on Monday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nana99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

This may not be where I need to ask this question, if not please tell me where to go for help.

After watching Income Property on HGTV, I thought the dwelling my ex is in (and taking our daughter for visitation) may be breaking fire codes. I called the fire department and was told yes there were violations. No windows and only one exit. I was given a number to call tomorrow morning about this. My question is do I call this person tomorrow or wait until Monday and bring it up in court. Our daughter has no scheduled visitation with him until after Monday.

I would think the cost of adding a window and some ventilation would probably be on his landlord but would actually be will to help pay for those costs to keep her safe while in his care.

Antigone*

This may not be where I need to ask this question, if not please tell me where to go for help.

After watching Income Property on HGTV, I thought the dwelling my ex is in (and taking our daughter for visitation) may be breaking fire codes. I called the fire department and was told yes there were violations. No windows and only one exit. I was given a number to call tomorrow morning about this. My question is do I call this person tomorrow or wait until Monday and bring it up in court. Our daughter has no scheduled visitation with him until after Monday.

I would think the cost of adding a window and some ventilation would probably be on his landlord but would actually be will to help pay for those costs to keep her safe while in his care.
Really, so an apartment with only one way in or out violates codes? Really:rolleyes:

Please OP, tell us the truth, you just don't want the child's father to have visitation, right? Why so?

LdiJ

What kind of building is it and how is it heated? It may be more important to ensure that dad cannot continue to live in the building at all. It may be too unsafe.

nana99

Really, so an apartment with only one way in or out violates codes? Really:rolleyes:

Please OP, tell us the truth, you just don't want the child's father to have visitation, right? Why so?
Absolutely not, she has EOW visitations and every Wednesday overnight. Have no problem with their visitations. I called the fire department myself and was told that a dwelling must have windows for escape routes if the doorway is blocked.

Antigone*

Absolutely not, she has EOW visitations and every Wednesday overnight. Have no problem with their visitations. I called the fire department myself and was told that a dwelling must have windows for escape routes if the doorway is blocked.
Is this mom who has visitation? Who are you? Have you had a conversation with mom about your concerns over the potential safety hazards of the building. Why would you wait to bring this up in court instead of having a conversation?

nana99

What kind of building is it and how is it heated? It may be more important to ensure that dad cannot continue to live in the building at all. It may be too unsafe.
This is a 3 story older home that has been made into apartments. He is living in the attic of another apartment. I don't know what kind of heat the building has only that his area does not have any sort of heat or air. In reading codes and laws I did read somewhere that a person can't charge rent for an area like this. I feel it is unsafe for him and her. If a fire were to break out whether she is there or not, he would have no escape route.

Antigone*

This is a 3 story older home that has been made into apartments. He is living in the attic of another apartment. I don't know what kind of heat the building has only that his area does not have any sort of heat or air. In reading codes and laws I did read somewhere that a person can't charge rent for an area like this. I feel it is unsafe for him and her. If a fire were to break out whether she is there or not, he would have no escape route.
I'm sorry, now I am confused. In one post i read SHE and now I read HE. Who are you?

nana99

Is this mom who has visitation? Who are you? Have you had a conversation with mom about your concerns over the potential safety hazards of the building. Why would you wait to bring this up in court instead of having a conversation?
I am mom, daughter has visitations with dad. I did have a conversation with him about the lack of windows he doesn't seem concerned, and I didn't realize it was against fire codes until as I said I was watching Income Properties on HGTV and they were discussing having to make an up to code with windows, ventilation, and more than one exit.

CJane

I'm sorry, now I am confused. In one post i read SHE and now I read HE. Who are you?
Anti...

This is MOM posting about DAD (he).

SHE refers to the DAUGHTER whom has visitation w/her father e/o weekend and Wednesday overnights.

And if this guy is really living in a space w/no windows AT ALL and no alternative exit, then it really IS a hazard. Mom didn't say a word about withholding visitations.

My Dad has a billion rental properties (granted, not in OP's state, but I'm betting this is one of those areas that laws are similar) and he could NEVER rent a space like OP describes as even a BEDROOM in an apartment, let alone as a stand-alone dwelling.

Basements have to have egress windows now, so there's an alternative exit. And most upper floors have to have windows with drop down ladders attached if there's no fire escape.

nana99

Anti...

This is MOM posting about DAD (he).

SHE refers to the DAUGHTER whom has visitation w/her father e/o weekend and Wednesday overnights.

And if this guy is really living in a space w/no windows AT ALL and no alternative exit, then it really IS a hazard. Mom didn't say a word about withholding visitations.

My Dad has a billion rental properties (granted, not in OP's state, but I'm betting this is one of those areas that laws are similar) and he could NEVER rent a space like OP describes as even a BEDROOM in an apartment, let alone as a stand-alone dwelling.

Basements have to have egress windows now, so there's an alternative exit. And most upper floors have to have windows with drop down ladders attached if there's no fire escape.
As far as I can tell the laws here are similar to what you mentioned. Basement dwellings have to have windows that can be used as an escape route. I didn't ask about the drop down ladders when I talked to the fire department because it has no window to have a drop down ladder. There is a skylight that doesn't open and is not reachable without a ladder.

mistoffolees

I am mom, daughter has visitations with dad. I did have a conversation with him about the lack of windows he doesn't seem concerned, and I didn't realize it was against fire codes until as I said I was watching Income Properties on HGTV and they were discussing having to make an up to code with windows, ventilation, and more than one exit.
Just note that what you hear on HGTV is irrelevant unless they're in the same community as your ex's home.

The fire department would know, of course, so their indication that is not within code is important. What you saw on HGTV is not.

nana99

Just note that what you hear on HGTV is irrelevant unless they're in the same community as your ex's home.

The fire department would know, of course, so their indication that is not within code is important. What you saw on HGTV is not.
HGTV just got me curious about the laws here :) I don't even know where they were doing the show for that episode, but once I heard it was against fire codes one place made me wonder if it was here too.

Thank you for your advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">