• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Order for Beneficiary of Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wondering22

What is the name of your state? Nevada

When my husband and I divorced, the divorce agreement stated that my daughter was to be named a beneficiary on all policies currently in effect until she turns 18 years of age or graduates from high school. Her father passed away three weeks prior to her graduation. She was not listed as a beneficiary on his life insurance. I've sent her father's employer a certified copy of the divorce agreement to provide to the life insurance company. Is my daughter entitled to any of the life insurance proceeds? If she is not legally entitled to any benefits, her step mother will absolutely not give her anything.

seniorjudge

wondering22 said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

When my husband and I divorced, the divorce agreement stated that my daughter was to be named a beneficiary on all policies currently in effect until she turns 18 years of age or graduates from high school. Her father passed away three weeks prior to her graduation. She was not listed as a beneficiary on his life insurance. I've sent her father's employer a certified copy of the divorce agreement to provide to the life insurance company. Is my daughter entitled to any of the life insurance proceeds? If she is not legally entitled to any benefits, her step mother will absolutely not give her anything.
Q: Is my daughter entitled to any of the life insurance proceeds?

A: No; the life insurance carrier was not a party to your lawsuit and is not bound by the judgment. Obviously, you should've made sure that you were the owner of such a policy so that you could've made sure that it was kept in effect.

fairisfair

wow, this is familiar. does any one else remember the stepmom who was on asking this same kind of question???

answer was possible litigation against the estate due to the court order to maintain the insurance policy with daughter as beneficiary or something like that.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Was the value of the insurance policies stated in the divorce decree? She does need to consult an attorney to consider the possibility of whether she can sue the estate for this liability and also if there is any unpaid overdue child support. Wouldn't do much good to look at the other posting about this since it may be from a different state and different laws would apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">