• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Process Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noseneis

I am in norman oklahoma facing marijuana possession charges. I received a docket last night, and went to court and scheduled my court date this morning. I go to court march 6th. I do not plan to bring a lawyer, as the charges are not too serious and I will plead guilty. Is there anything I should expect in the mail or in general before my court date arrives?

quincy

I am in norman oklahoma facing marijuana possession charges. I received a docket last night, and went to court and scheduled my court date this morning. I go to court march 6th. I do not plan to bring a lawyer, as the charges are not too serious and I will plead guilty. Is there anything I should expect in the mail or in general before my court date arrives?
You should contact the court in advance of your court date to better ensure that the date for your hearing has not been changed.

I recommend you discuss your marijuana possession charge with an attorney in your area. Although the new laws in Oklahoma have apparently reduced the fines for possession of small amounts of marijuana, there are problems with how the laws are worded. You want to make sure that a guilty plea is in your best interests.

Good luck.

Noseneis

You should contact the court in advance of your court date to better ensure that the date for your hearing has not been changed.

I recommend you discuss your marijuana possession charge with an attorney in your area. Although the new laws in Oklahoma have apparently reduced the fines for possession of small amounts of marijuana, there are problems with how the laws are worded. You want to make sure that a guilty plea is in your best interests.

Good luck.
If I call, will an attorney let me speak to him about this and not have me pay anything or give me any issues about it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I call, will an attorney let me speak to him about this and not have me pay anything or give me any issues about it?
Attorneys will often review your case at no charge. Whether you can receive advice about your case without paying something is entirely up to the attorney.

quincy

Maybe. Some attorneys will offer free general advice.

The advice most often given to anyone charged with a crime is to plead not guilty at the first hearing and then hire an attorney. :)

The reason I suggest an attorney review is that Oklahoma is issuing noncriminal "tickets" for possession but also can charge possession as a misdemeanor. One is more serious than the other.

Noseneis

Maybe. Some attorneys will offer free general advice.

The advice most often given to anyone charged with a crime is to plead not guilty at the first hearing and then hire an attorney. :)

The reason I suggest an attorney review is that Oklahoma is issuing noncriminal "tickets" for possession but also can charge possession as a misdemeanor. One is more serious than the other.
I received a ticket, not a misdemeanor I believe. They gave me a docket, which he said is basically a ticket

quincy

Not a misdemeanor, you believe?

That's the same as saying you don't know.

Get a lawyer.
While I agree that consulting an attorney is wise and advised, a marijuana possession ticket in Norman Oklahoma is likely to be a fine only.

Here is a link to a Norman Transcript article from December on the new Oklahoma marijuana laws:
https://www.normantranscript.com/news/local_news/norman-looks-to-reduce-marijuana-penalties/article_373b3e31-615f-58fe-8730-05028e2f687d.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">