• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court rescheduled me with only 5 days notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evacide

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a speeding ticket on July 16. My arraignment was on August 22, when I entered a plea of not guilty and requested a change to county seat. This request was accepted and my date was set for September 11. I received a notice in the mail that I would be rescheduled to September 22, but went down there on September 11 anyway to request a change of date. I was then rescheduled to October 6 and received forms verifying this.
Just today, on September 17, I received a call from the clerk informing me that my date is now September 22 again (this Tuesday), since that is the day the officer will already be at other trials, and if I do not show the case will be judged without my presence. This is only 5 days notice and on the day that I had purposely declined. What options do I have?
Thanks.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a speeding ticket on July 16. My arraignment was on August 22, when I entered a plea of not guilty and requested a change to county seat. This request was accepted and my date was set for September 11. I received a notice in the mail that I would be rescheduled to September 22, but went down there on September 11 anyway to request a change of date. I was then rescheduled to October 6 and received forms verifying this.
Just today, on September 17, I received a call from the clerk informing me that my date is now September 22 again (this Tuesday), since that is the day the officer will already be at other trials, and if I do not show the case will be judged without my presence. This is only 5 days notice and on the day that I had purposely declined. What options do I have?
Thanks.
What is the reason you can't attend the 9/22 hearing?

evacide

What is the reason you can't attend the 9/22 hearing?
I won't be in town. They already approved the request to change from that exact date. Now they're flipping it back with very short notice. Sounds like I'm the one they want to not be there :rolleyes:

Just Blue

I won't be in town. They already approved the request to change from that exact date. Now they're flipping it back with very short notice. Sounds like I'm the one they want to not be there :rolleyes:
Well..You have a decession to make. What is more important...Your out of town trip (for whatever reason) or the court hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">