• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

If I recieved a court summons filed by a credit card company...

Two things, if I do not show up, what would a judge possibly render against me? The second thing is I ask to be declared bankrupt during the hearing, woud that settle the situation and can a judge grant it.

bigun

If you're a noshow, the judge will grant a default judgment and the creditor can then do whatever your state allows. They can garnish wages {if allowed} attach bank accounts, etc.
You just don't ask a judge to declare you bankrupt. You must file a bk petition. BK is a Federal matter and a state judge that will be hearing this lawsuit won't have the authority.
What state are you in and when did you last pay the orginal creditor?

bigun

OK, the statute of limitations in Pa. is 4 years so that's no option.
Have you been sued or is a collection agency threatening? Have you demanded validation?
One other thing, wages can't be garnished in Pa.

convoy71

court summons

The paper says "Civil Action Hearing Notice", "Civil Complaint"

To be heard infront of "District Justice"(local judge of my town)

bigun

Convoy,
You really need to get in the ballgame here.
That "paper" is a lawsuit. It should give a date by which you must respond.
If BK is an option, you need to get to a lawyer ASAP.
If you're going to try and fight it or, settle you'll surely need to respond with a general denial/lack of knowledge to the summons and at the same time, demand validation from the lawyer. They are supposed to stay the lawsuit until they validate. Here's a sample validation letter. Send it CRRR.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">