• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cousin was beat up by cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arlop

I have a cousin I'm trying to help out and I'm not sure what to do. His court date with the judge is in a couple of days.

Several weeks ago, my cousin went over to his ex-girlfriend's house to make up after a fight, and he was drunk. She asked him to leave and locked herself in the bathroom when he wouldn't. She called the police and remained locked in the bathroom. When they arrived they broke down her front door. My cousin is a very mellow guy and immediately put his hands up after they put the police dog on him. One of the cops then punched him in the face. My cousin hit the cop back in defense. At that point both cops put a black mask over his head and took him into another room and proceeded to beat him up. His ex-girlfriend remained in the bathroom the entire time. When they removed him from the house he noticed that an ambulance was already waiting for him and they put him in and sent him to the emergency room. I found out later from his ex-girlfriend that there was blood all over the place.

When I saw my cousin's face, after bailing him out, I was horrified at how badly beaten up he was. His face so badly disfigured that I took pictures of it. I can't help but feel this was racially motivated as he's Mexican. Furthermore, he's a pretty docile guy and has never been in trouble with the law.

My question is this: is this worth the trouble of pursuing with a lawyer (because of the cost)? How much help can a public defender be in this case? When I bailed out my cousin, I was advised by the bouncer to look for a public defender outside of the county. We live in CA.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, neither one of us was there to see what actually went down. But, in light of all the california (i live in southern cali) police issues and scandals are spreading like wildfire.

If I were you, I would immediately contact your local legal aid foundation and have a crimnal defense attorney from that organization help you out.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">