• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coverage after leaving a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Willow65

My husband quit a job in Alabama for another job in Colorado. About a week after his last day of work (in Alabama) he was bitten by a spider and had to go to the emergency room.

Since we had not yet received the Cobra paperwork and since insurance payment was deducted from his last paycheck we were under the assumption that he was still covered, at least for a week or two until there was time to receive, fill out and submit the Cobra paperwork.

We found out that his insurance was terminate on his last day of employment-----if it is important, he did give two weeks notice and did work for that entire two weeks.

He called the human resources dept. and verified his mailing address and was told that the Cobra paper work would be mailed immediately. That was two weeks ago.

Can anyone tell us what our rights are in this situation?? From personal experience, whenever either of us had left a job in the past we were handed the Cobra paperwork either at or before the exit interview.........that did not happen in this case and in calling and trying to get information we are getting a run around.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Willow.

Beth3

Coverage ends on the day that is specified in the employer's insurance contract/plan document. That's typically either the last day of employment OR the end of the month. Obviously your husband's employer's plan is the last day of employment.

If the company is self-administering COBRA, they have 44 days from the date coverage ends to send you the COBRA notification. If they're using an outside vendor, they only have 14 days.

Relax. All is okay. When you do receive the COBRA notice, simply fill out the paperwork and send in the premium check - if you want the coverage that is. Coverage will be reinstated retro-actively to the last day of employment and the spider bite will be covered. If that's the only medical bill you have between the end of the one plan and your enrollment in the next, then just decide what's cheaper - paying the premium(s) or just paying the bill.

Call the HR Rep back and remind them that you're still awaiting COBRA paperwork and would appreciate receiving that right away. If you're getting the run-around, then ask to talk to the Director or VP of HR.

W

Willow65

Thanks...you told me a lot more than the HR rep.....you'd think they would explain all that. Oh well. I feel a lot better now...thanks for the post.
Willow

Beth3

You're welcome. I'm an "HR rep" and this is pretty simple stuff to explain. Too bad they didn't take two minutes and do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">