• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COVID-19 and now work is not available

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzanne54

What is the name of your state? VA. So what are all the small businesses to do if they don't have work because they are forbidden to work to keep up with social distancing? Small businesses are receiving tax breaks for paying people who are quarantined for two weeks. That is a good thing, both sides are being taken care of. But what if the business can no longer access the destination to perform the work? This means the business doesn't earn money and further, the business can't pay it's employees. Does anybody see any legislation being talked about in this situations? Look at all the restaurants and waiters and waitresses.. How are these people suppose to survive after 80 days?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? VA. So what are all the small businesses to do if they don't have work because they are forbidden to work to keep up with social distancing? Small businesses are receiving tax breaks for paying people who are quarantined for two weeks. That is a good thing, both sides are being taken care of. But what if the business can no longer access the destination to perform the work? This means the business doesn't earn money and further, the business can't pay it's employees. Does anybody see any legislation being talked about in this situations? Look at all the restaurants and waiters and waitresses.. How are these people suppose to survive after 80 days?
Did you have a legal question?

Suzanne54

I get that unemployment is available. My boss is concerned about his employees not getting paid. And I guess we can all apply for partial unemployment if we loose working hours. But if we apply for partial unemployment, then the tax rate goes up.
Would it be cheaper to just pay them or to let them file for partial unemployment?

quincy

Unemployment compensation has been expanded to include a longer period to collect and a larger amount of money to collect. You just have to wait awhile for the Bill to be signed tomorrow to get the relief you are seeking.

Check your state’s website and summaries of the Bill published online.

adjusterjack

Did you have a legal question?
The questions are "legal" in that there is no law against them being asked.

So, what was the purpose of your question?

Seems to me you are just wasting space with that kind of question as well as belittling a poster who just happens not to be asking a question directly concerned with "law."

Perhaps you should "refrain" from responding like that. ;)

adjusterjack

I get that unemployment is available. My boss is concerned about his employees not getting paid. And I guess we can all apply for partial unemployment if we loose working hours. But if we apply for partial unemployment, then the tax rate goes up.
Would it be cheaper to just pay them or to let them file for partial unemployment?
The employer would have to do the math. But I suspect that this kind of layoff won't be charged to the employer's account.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The questions are "legal" in that there is no law against them being asked.

So, what was the purpose of your question?

Seems to me you are just wasting space with that kind of question as well as belittling a poster who just happens not to be asking a question directly concerned with "law."

Perhaps you should "refrain" from responding like that. ;)
I see what you did there... :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">