• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cowardly landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L.J. Kelley

What is the name of your state? South Carolina.
Actually this is more than one question, but all about same landlord. We have a "pervert" in our apartments, several tenants have complained to landlord, some have moved because of him. Pervert peeks in females' windows, stands on their porch and smokes and stares in, hides nude in the bushes, appeared nude at new tenants' door their first nite there, and the list goes on. This pervert has been here since before the landlord bought the place. He pays $150 per month less than the rest of us. Landlord doesn't want to get "involved" and won't even talk to the pervert about the complaints.
Part 2 of this question is: we have had several break-ins in the last few months, and have asked landlord to do something about security for our apartments (these were built in the 50's)...deadbolts, window locks,SOMETHING for security. He refuses, saying that he doesn't want future renters to think the apartments aren't in a safe area, and they might think that if they see deadbolts, etc.
QUESTION: (s): Isn't he, as the owner, ultimately responsible if something happens, after he's been asked repeatedly to do something about it? This applies to the pervert (landlord says he "can't evict him just because people tell me things that he's allegedly done, or he could sue me for false eviction.") What can we, as tenants (male and female) do about the situation...both of the pervert and the security issues?

truth_seeker

Regarding the pervert, I would call police every time something like this happens. In this day of digital cameras, can you capture him standing outside naked? We had a peeping tom in a residential (single-family home)neighborhood. It took about a year, but all of the neighbors just kept reporting it. There was a police car in his driveway at least once a month. Finally, they just got him to admit that he was doing it. The police told us that unless they actually 'catch him in the act', which means masturbating while he was peeping in a window, they couldn't charge him with anything. He was fully clothed when he did his peeping. I feel sorry for you having to live with that going on around you.

FarmerJ

As far as your concern about the locks look to your state govt web page and also check with your city to learn if deadbolts are required . In some towns there may be a city ordinance that will force the LL to install deadbolts .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">