• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coworker is extra auditing my cashiering work, over job coaching me and I feel she is trying to fire me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwidell

A fellow coworker is extra auditing my cashiering paper work. Is this retaliation or harassment or other. This is creating mental stress for me after work because my job is all of a sudden becoming at stake. Why am I being treated this way? How am I going to pay the bills? Why is my disability making this location a challenge? What am I going to do after? It's difficult for me to get a job because of my disability. I'm new to this location not new to the job but I've never had to do this at my other two locations. I'm fully trained with company protocol and procedures. This store is very very different form other locations I've worked at. Apparently they have store protocol not company. All of a sudden I'm doing this wrong not doing it in the right order not doing it her way. I swear she's out to get me fired.

When I first transferred in she started lecturing me like a new hire how to do things and when you came from a lead position at another store this is very degrading. She coaches me on little detail things that I already know but assumes I am stupid and know nothing. Before I realized it she's coaching me on how to do my job rudely and lecturing me about how I'm not doing it right on the floor in front of customers. I'm fully trained and have 8+ years experience. I've done temporary lead positions to fill gaps to see if I even wanted the lead position. I nipped at her a little but later apologized then treated her as nicely as possible. Unfortunately this opened up a door for her to treat me differently.

She makes me do more work than other cashiers. She makes me print out extra receipts and take away receipts from customers. (Which is far from company protocol). Every time I price over ride, reign check, customer service or make it right I have to print, circle and scribble a why on it. If the computer requests a customer license on the check I have to write it down on the check not the computer which always asks. When the computer literally asks a 1-4 option and that's all the information she should need. She enjoys finding errors in my work. Yes I'm disabled and can easily be proven. Yes my disability requires me to have a repetitious job with a repetitious pattern. No I was not explained nor taught store policy when transferred in. No I do not always understand what I am doing. No I do not always mentally see things when errors occur. First location I've worked at where store policy out weighs company policy. I've signed this warning sheet more times than any other employees. Enough signatures and a suspension. Other employees show up on the same list she prints out that questions price changes. Yet I'm the only name circled and I have to provide explanation as to why I did them. No other book keeper does this just her. I swear she occasionally looses my paper work too. Video cameras would show me clearly putting it in the till bag. Some how it disappears when it gets to her. Then I get warned for it.

We are on the same pay scale she just has more job duties. She continues to coach me like I know nothing and am a new hire with zero experience. I find this quite degrading and she knows. I've been job coached more times than any one else. Yet I find she only does this to me and no one else. I find other coworkers slacking off and doing the same b.s. I do but if she catches me I get a job coach lecture. I can't even do operations at the podium without her nipping a lecture at me about how I'm not doing my job and slacking off. I've signed this sheet more times than any other employees and they do not have to provide the same amount of paper work. I'm afraid my disability is creating a hard ship for me with this job. Is this retaliation, harassasment or other? I've worked at two other locations and I do not feel this is fair treatment. I tell management with each incident but she still lectures me like I'm a new hire and extra audits my cashiering paper work. I feel my disability is going to get me fired for lack of understanding. This is creating mental hardship for me because all of a sudden I'm not doing a good job, I'm worrying about my future employment with this company, how long it will take me to get another job, how will I pay the bills, ect. All I know is this needs to end. Company knows I'm disabled.

I reside in WA State and live around Bellevue, WA.
I am seeking legal advice for this issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I find other coworkers slacking off and doing the same b.s. I do but if she catches me I get a job coach lecture.
You can be expected to do your job properly without "...doing the same b.s...." Failure to do so can definitely lead to additional training, coaching, and oversight.

HRZ

IF doing it the way store /store managers way is what counts....as it often does..then do it the way the store wants it done and smile . And if she is the straw boss...smile and do it her way with a smile and don't lecture her on the company way! You need to do your job.

Nobody likes a tattle tale ...so don't take small issues up the management chain of command.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder ...fair is not a legal requirement .

Nothing wrong with keepIng good personal logs off site in some safe place as who said what to whom .

ITs not common ...but it is not unheard of to ride a disabled employee until they get frustrated and quit ..or flunk enough improvement plans / reviews such that they can be exited under whatever policies exist ...if you think you are being singled out because of your disability I suggest you get some immediate help ( with no comments at work or to friends or family ) from an employment lawyer that has experience representing employees with your type of disability ...my view is it's easier to preserve a job than it is to recover it if fired

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
A fellow coworker is extra auditing my cashiering paper work. Is this retaliation or harassment or other. This is creating mental stress for me after work because my job is all of a sudden becoming at stake. Why am I being treated this way? How am I going to pay the bills? Why is my disability making this location a challenge? What am I going to do after? It's difficult for me to get a job because of my disability. I'm new to this location not new to the job but I've never had to do this at my other two locations. I'm fully trained with company protocol and procedures. This store is very very different form other locations I've worked at. Apparently they have store protocol not company. All of a sudden I'm doing this wrong not doing it in the right order not doing it her way. I swear she's out to get me fired.

When I first transferred in she started lecturing me like a new hire how to do things and when you came from a lead position at another store this is very degrading. She coaches me on little detail things that I already know but assumes I am stupid and know nothing. Before I realized it she's coaching me on how to do my job rudely and lecturing me about how I'm not doing it right on the floor in front of customers. I'm fully trained and have 8+ years experience. I've done temporary lead positions to fill gaps to see if I even wanted the lead position. I nipped at her a little but later apologized then treated her as nicely as possible. Unfortunately this opened up a door for her to treat me differently.

She makes me do more work than other cashiers. She makes me print out extra receipts and take away receipts from customers. (Which is far from company protocol). Every time I price over ride, reign check, customer service or make it right I have to print, circle and scribble a why on it. If the computer requests a customer license on the check I have to write it down on the check not the computer which always asks. When the computer literally asks a 1-4 option and that's all the information she should need. She enjoys finding errors in my work. Yes I'm disabled and can easily be proven. Yes my disability requires me to have a repetitious job with a repetitious pattern. No I was not explained nor taught store policy when transferred in. No I do not always understand what I am doing. No I do not always mentally see things when errors occur. First location I've worked at where store policy out weighs company policy. I've signed this warning sheet more times than any other employees. Enough signatures and a suspension. Other employees show up on the same list she prints out that questions price changes. Yet I'm the only name circled and I have to provide explanation as to why I did them. No other book keeper does this just her. I swear she occasionally looses my paper work too. Video cameras would show me clearly putting it in the till bag. Some how it disappears when it gets to her. Then I get warned for it.

We are on the same pay scale she just has more job duties. She continues to coach me like I know nothing and am a new hire with zero experience. I find this quite degrading and she knows. I've been job coached more times than any one else. Yet I find she only does this to me and no one else. I find other coworkers slacking off and doing the same b.s. I do but if she catches me I get a job coach lecture. I can't even do operations at the podium without her nipping a lecture at me about how I'm not doing my job and slacking off. I've signed this sheet more times than any other employees and they do not have to provide the same amount of paper work. I'm afraid my disability is creating a hard ship for me with this job. Is this retaliation, harassasment or other? I've worked at two other locations and I do not feel this is fair treatment. I tell management with each incident but she still lectures me like I'm a new hire and extra audits my cashiering paper work. I feel my disability is going to get me fired for lack of understanding. This is creating mental hardship for me because all of a sudden I'm not doing a good job, I'm worrying about my future employment with this company, how long it will take me to get another job, how will I pay the bills, ect. All I know is this needs to end. Company knows I'm disabled.

I reside in WA State and live around Bellevue, WA.
I am seeking legal advice for this issue.
Being rude is not against the law. Annoying, yes. Illegal, no. As to your other complaints, it sounds like the extra coaching is because you're making mistakes. Concentrate on making fewer mistakes, and STOP TATTLING. Seriously. You have informed management. You don't need to tell them every time you're annoyed by her. Because you may end up causing your own firing.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am unclear as to what's the legal question.

However, my advice is to continue to do your job to the best of your ability, and with a smile on your face, kindness in your heart, and a sense of humor.

Maybe it'll get better. Maybe you'll develop allies among your coworkers, if she's truly being unfair.

If you get fired, apply for unemployment.

dwidell

I guess my legal question is my coworker wrongfully singling me out or not? Kroger is the company QFC is the store. I feel it wrong to be treated like a new hire after transfering over from a store with 8+ years experience and being scolded left and right for job basics. Imagine a lead with manager privileges going back to a basic cashier and being constantly job coached about how you're not doing things right. That's basically my senerio in a simpler thread. I guess I was just too angry to phrase it right.

Instead of suing the compnay for her singling me out should I request a reasonable ada request? It would help protect the job. Something about a manager or pic must always be present for refunds and price over rides for more than 50%. They must also watch me and sign the slip. This would also help single out if the problem is me or the coworker/book keeper.

eerelations

If by "singling me out" you mean she is being discriminatory, please understand that discrimination is only illegal if it's based specifically and directly on things like your race, gender, religion, age (if you're over 40), and/or disability. While you have indicated that you have a disability, you will need to prove that the sole reason for her behavior is your disability. Is it? What evidence do you have for this?

Regarding requesting a reasonable accommodation, if you get one, please understand that this will not provide you with the kind and level of job protection you seem to be seeking. Your employer will still be able to legally fire you for pretty much any reason (including no reason), as long as said reason is not your disability.

commentator

You say your co worker is "singling you out." Apparently, she's got supervisory responsibilities and some authority? Otherwise, you don't have to do things just because she demands that you do. She can't fire you, from the sound of this, but understand, she can definitely try to get you to be so miserable that you quit. That's quite legal.

She does not have the ability to get you fired as far as making hiring and firing decisions. She can tattle on you, show your supervisor your poor performance or errors, but she can't "get you fired". In a large organization such as this, you'd be warned, and then warned several more times for any issue for which they were going to fire you. That's not a labor law, (actually, an employer can pretty much hire and fire whoever they want to) but it is pretty much the company's policies in this case, they're fairly standardized by a large HR for the whole organization.

You say you "feel your disability is going to get you fired for lack of understanding." This is not a valid fear. As long as you show up and do your best, your disability has been noted and the company is aware of it, they probably are not going to fire you for making too many mistakes. If you are counseled for making too many errors, tell them what is going on. Request to be moved.

Right now, you're just worrying and letting this person "get in your head." You're playing "what if, how would I, what should I do?" In a sense, you're letting her take away not only your peace of mind and your joy in living, but you are letting your mental distress take away from your job performance.

"I can't stand this. It's not right! This has to stop! This has to stop right now!" you're telling yourself. No it doesn't. Nothing terminal or terrible is happening. She's just pulling your strings, aggravating you, worrying you, and it's very satisfying for her. You're the only one who can control how she makes you feel. Picking at you makes her feel powerful. Think how important and special she'd feel if she actually makes you so miserable you decide to quit the job.

If you quit, due to her behavior, you will have a hard time qualifying for unemployment insurance while looking for another job. If you have this long in with this company, perhaps a change in location to another job site might be what needs to happen for you. What they'd look for in unemployment approval is that you'd exhausted every reasonable means to solve this problem before quitting the job. Make sure this is what you do.

The reasonable steps for you in solving this problem would be first at her level. In other words, between the two of you. As in asking her directly why she demands that you do something she doesn't ask others to do? Telling her you do not think this is right. Do what she requests without making a big thing of it. Smile, and say "Sure!" Keep very careful records of your performance, check yourself very carefully, try to avoid errors, then try to stop stressing about it. It's a known fact that being over-monitored can cause you to make more errors.

Be keeping a record of each time you have spoken with your higher ups about this person's attitude toward you and treatment of you. Be sure they cannot say, "We didn't know there was a problem!" if something else happens.

Be polite, professional, and as calm as possible. See if you can find some free counseling, perhaps from your agency where you received your job coaching before you got this job, a pastor, a friend, someone to talk about this with might help you deal with it constructively.

But legally, no there's no law being broken by her treatment of you. She's just a small time bully and you're her current target. It's not illegal to be a jerk on the job. It's not illegal to pick on someone on the job, except of course, specifically for being in a protected class. But nasty co workers are a reality of many workplaces. Protect yourself by dealing with her proactively, keeping careful records of what she is doing and saying to you for possible future use, and trying not to stress too much.

Last edited:

dwidell

Thank you excellent point. She tends to direct this pattern around towards different individuals. For a while it stopped. Then it went back towards me. Later I found she was picking on someone else and they quit due to the behavior she displayed on them. Your answer is the best possible answer to approach this situation with. I've tried to make friends with her after nipping at her, tried doing things her way even though in my mind it's insulting, doing nice things putting a smile on my face and even buying her food when she runs short. She's still just a bully and regardless of what I try she still bullies me and makes my time with this company more difficult.

commentator

Hang in there. When you're not rewarding her behavior by be so awfully upset, she may change her behavior (not likely) or try to pick on another target. Or something else may happen to relieve the situation. She may quit tomorrow. Try to protect yourself professionally, and keep it in perspective. Best wishes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What kind of ADA accommodation do you need to do your job, and how do you think asking for one would relieve the situation you've described?

dwidell

I learn more slowly, don't always visually see errors, I get flustered when I don't understand or too much too fast comes at me then I just shut down. I'm getting written up for little things my disability does not let me mentally or visually see or connect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I learn more slowly, don't always visually see errors, I get flustered when I don't understand or too much too fast comes at me then I just shut down. I'm getting written up for little things my disability does not let me mentally or visually see or connect.
Stop posting on other people's threads. Really.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on what you've posted, what your co-worker is doing is not illegal in the slightest. It might be annoying, but the employer is not under any circumstances whatsoever required to accept sub-standard work, disabled or not. So she just might be helping you keep your job.

What accommodation are you looking for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">