• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coworker with history of sexual abuse/r***. How to aid in uncovering past for employer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Afaggion

Not sure if this is a proper place to ask, but someone was employed at my job, and I am close friends with multiple people who have been sexually assaulted and/or worse by this person. 8 victims testified to the school where these events took place, but the school did nothing but slap him on the wrist. The individual has since been blacklisted by other places of employment, but is now at my job. They’re doing a second background check, but is there any way or resource I could use to bring those offenses to light for my employers?

(The place of employment is Family run and there’s a lot of working with children.)

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Were the numerous sexual assaults ever reported to the police by the victims of these assaults? If not, why not?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your post is not clear. Is he applying for a position with your employer, or is he already employed by your employer?

And again, what state is this?

Afaggion

State of assault was North Carolina, presently employed in Missouri.

Reports went to the university department head, rather than the police, despite my personal encouragement at the time. The program these students were participating in was a competitive, selective program, and I wouldn’t be surprised if fear of trashing their chances in their respective field kept them from pursuing proper channels.

Afaggion

Your post is not clear. Is he applying for a position with your employer, or is he already employed by your employer?

And again, what state is this?
Was just employed for a one year contract at this company. University within North Carolina, employment in Missouri.

quincy

If this person has been “blacklisted” at other places of employment, it seems likely there is a record of the assaults somewhere.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the person wasn't convicted, then all you are doing is spreading rumors...rumors that could end up costing you a lot of money if you end up on the wrong end of a defamation suit.

Dandy Don

Type up an anonymous letter about this individual and do not sign your name to it. Put it in a self-addressed stamped envelope that will go to the Missouri company (the envelope WILL NOT not show a return address in the left-hand corner). Put that envelope inside a larger, manila envelope and address the outer envelope to "Postmaster, City/State/Zip Code" of a nearby city so that the Postmaster can put the inner envelope in the mail and it will show a postmark for that city (to help you retain your anonymity because anyone who looks at the postmark will only be able to determine what city it was mailed from and will not be able to determine who sent it.

Thank you for protecting potential future victims from the horrific damage of abuse.

LdiJ

Type up an anonymous letter about this individual and do not sign your name to it. Put it in a self-addressed stamped envelope that will go to the Missouri company (the envelope WILL NOT not show a return address in the left-hand corner). Put that envelope inside a larger, manila envelope and address the outer envelope to "Postmaster, City/State/Zip Code" of a nearby city so that the Postmaster can put the inner envelope in the mail and it will show a postmark for that city (to help you retain your anonymity because anyone who looks at the postmark will only be able to determine what city it was mailed from and will not be able to determine who sent it.

Thank you for protecting potential future victims from the horrific damage of abuse.
Another option, if you live fairly close to another town or city, is to just drive to the town or city and put the letter in a mailbox there. That eliminates the need for the brown envelope addressed to the postmaster.

Mass_Shyster

I don't believe the postmaster in a nearby city/state/zip code will act as an anonymous relay. He or she will process as "return to sender" and the letter will end up in the dead letter box.

I also doubt anyone will find credible an anonymous letter claiming someone is a sexual predator.

I don't think OP has any first hand knowledge of the assaults, he or she only heard about them. If they turn out to be false, OP could end up on the losing end of a defamation suit.

Dandy Don

i have used the postmaster tactic with success--the document was put into the regular mail and processed as usual--its a postal policy. The poster could also ask one or more of the friends who were victims to write the anonymous letter. Hard to see how anyone could anyone be charged with a defamation suit when they haven't been specifically identified.

quincy

Many letters are not sent from the local post office but from a distribution center in the county. Postmarks are (generally) not enough to identify the sender of an anonymous letter although sending something through university mail might narrow it down.

If concerned enough, the victims should be the ones reporting the fellow - or the fellow could be reported to the police for an investigation. Police reports made with a honest purpose (no malice) are protected from defamation claims by qualified privilege.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">