• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP lied to police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

im4him

What is the name of your state?MI
Hello, I'm the BM and recently filed a petition to modify custody. BD has full physical custody and we have joint legal custody. Approximately two years ago I received a phone call from my 12 year old son while he was at school. He stated that he had a stomach ache and could not reach his SM or BD, and wanted me to come and get him.
Immediately red flags went up because BD and SM have lied to others to get me in trouble. I told my son that I would call him back and gave Friend of the Court a call. I spoke with two people from there, who both stated that if it didn't state otherwise in my son's school records, they didn't see a problem with me picking him up. I tried to call the BD, but did not get and answer. I then called the school and they too had attempted to call the BD's home phone and cell phone. I relayed what FOC had said, and they looked to see if there was anything permitting me from taking my son from school. There wasn't.
I went to the school and picked my son up. I also wrote a letter to BD stating that I had picked my son up and had business to take care of in another county, and that there was a good possibility that we would not be back until 7:00p.m. or so. (I was to sign on the house that I was buying) I asked the school secretary to please see that my other son got the letter and to give it to his Dad or SM. When I took my son back to his Dad's house, I was greeted with accusations of kidnapping. BD had called the police as soon as our son did not get off of the bus. He did call the school and they did explain to him what happened. My other son did give him the letter. End of story. . . . . Now, almost 2 years later, I decided to get a copy of the police report. Turns out that BD lied and told the police officer that, "his ex wife gets supervised visitation every two weeks, but otherwise is not suppose to contact the children". My questions are: Can this be held against him?
If so, what needs to be done? and Can this be used when we go in front of the referee? Thank you all in advance for your advice.

B

betterthanher

im4him said:
What is the name of your state?MI
Hello, I'm the BM and recently filed a petition to modify custody. BD has full physical custody and we have joint legal custody. Approximately two years ago I received a phone call from my 12 year old son while he was at school. He stated that he had a stomach ache and could not reach his SM or BD, and wanted me to come and get him.
Immediately red flags went up because BD and SM have lied to others to get me in trouble. I told my son that I would call him back and gave Friend of the Court a call. I spoke with two people from there, who both stated that if it didn't state otherwise in my son's school records, they didn't see a problem with me picking him up. I tried to call the BD, but did not get and answer. I then called the school and they too had attempted to call the BD's home phone and cell phone. I relayed what FOC had said, and they looked to see if there was anything permitting me from taking my son from school. There wasn't.
I went to the school and picked my son up. I also wrote a letter to BD stating that I had picked my son up and had business to take care of in another county, and that there was a good possibility that we would not be back until 7:00p.m. or so. (I was to sign on the house that I was buying) I asked the school secretary to please see that my other son got the letter and to give it to his Dad or SM. When I took my son back to his Dad's house, I was greeted with accusations of kidnapping. BD had called the police as soon as our son did not get off of the bus. He did call the school and they did explain to him what happened. My other son did give him the letter. End of story. . . . . Now, almost 2 years later, I decided to get a copy of the police report. Turns out that BD lied and told the police officer that, "his ex wife gets supervised visitation every two weeks, but otherwise is not suppose to contact the children". My questions are: Can this be held against him?
If so, what needs to be done? and Can this be used when we go in front of the referee? Thank you all in advance for your advice.
The only way you'd have recourse from him is if the report affected you or you suffered in some way (you were arrested or detained, etc.). What would your intentions be using that report in court?

im4him

No, his statement did not affect me. I did not get arrested or detained. If it was brought up in court . . . His character. If he is so quick to lie to a police officer, why wouldn't he lie to the judge (or referee).

B

betterthanher

im4him said:
No, his statement did not affect me. I did not get arrested or detained. If it was brought up in court . . . His character. If he is so quick to lie to a police officer, why wouldn't he lie to the judge (or referee).
Then you wouldn't have any recourse against him. It's like those who accuse someone of libel or slander. They need to prove the statements made were untrue, in addition need to show how they damaged you. The police on the other hand, would have a reason to go after him because, if I am not mistaken and not because I know from experience, but when you sign a statement or police report, you are essentially admitting what you stated is true or true to the best of your knowledge.
If he makes accusations in Court, he would have to prove them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">