• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPI Collateral Protection Insurance Applied Retroactively by Bank- Is that legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EB3614

My Michigan bank purchased CPI for my auto during a time period that my auto insurance was not in effect and passed on the cost to me. Is it legal to purchase CPI for a retroactive time period? They also did not notify me of the purchase and charge until months after the time period the CPI covered. They DID communicate to me that they could and would purchase CPI if I did not provide proof that the car was covered in those prior months. However, I was not notified that the insurance had been purchased and that my loan was charged until months after the insurance lapse. It doesn't seem right that they can purchase insurance retroactively and charge me retroactively. It that legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My Michigan bank purchased CPI for my auto during a time period that my auto insurance was not in effect and passed on the cost to me. Is it legal to purchase CPI for a retroactive time period? They also did not notify me of the purchase and charge until months after the time period the CPI covered. They DID communicate to me that they could and would purchase CPI if I did not provide proof that the car was covered in those prior months. However, I was not notified that the insurance had been purchased and that my loan was charged until months after the insurance lapse. It doesn't seem right that they can purchase insurance retroactively and charge me retroactively. It that legal?
Yes, it's absolutely legal. You were covered by (basically) their blanket of insurance coverages and have to pay for that.

ETA: You agreed to this when you got the car

adjusterjack

It doesn't seem right that they can purchase insurance retroactively and charge me retroactively. It that legal?
Yes, it's legal. Read your loan contract. It's all in there and your contract is your notice of what will happen if you default. Lapsing your insurance is default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">