• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPS ... when will it end

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rawryan1

Florida ... my daughter is 14. After getting grounded, her and two of her friends at the bus stop called CPS on my wife and I. There were many false accusations. It's been hell! They even called my ex-wife to see if they could dig something up on me. Is this allowed? It's been almost 3 months. How long, by law, do they have to complete this investigation? I know they have only so many days to provide us with a report of their so-called findings. We haven't even heard anything for 3 weeks?

Just Blue

Florida ... my daughter is 14. After getting grounded, her and two of her friends at the bus stop called CPS on my wife and I. There were many false accusations. It's been hell! They even called my ex-wife to see if they could dig something up on me. Is this allowed? It's been almost 3 months. How long, by law, do they have to complete this investigation? I know they have only so many days to provide us with a report of their so-called findings. We haven't even heard anything for 3 weeks?
Today...as in right now...find an attorney that specializes in CPS cases. They are out there. The Attorney will make sure that your rights are protected and CPS follows the law instead of doing whatever they want. CPS generally does whatever they want...

ETA: I hope you didn't lift the grounding on your daughter. ;)

Last edited:

xylene

Oates Military Academy.

That's a joke, but yeah, a therapeutic residential school might be something to consider for a child who commited such a brazen, almost sociopathic act.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Oates Military Academy.

That's a joke, but yeah, a therapeutic residential school might be something to consider for a child who commited such a brazen, almost sociopathic act.
I'm thinking community service/highway clean up. And an extension of the grounding.

commentator

Well, remember, folks, that when young'uns come on here and ask about emancipation, we always tell them that if they really believe they are being abused, they need to call CPS or report it to someone. I have also noticed that in the last few years, the level of abuse that teenagers think is intolerable has really dropped down to "verbal and emotional" instead of real physical abuse. The inevitable outcome of this is that CPS gets more and more abuse complaints, some of which are valid (heaven knows, VERY valid) and then there are those where "my dad refused to pay for my cell phone anymore" and "one time he sorta shoved me when I was trying to leave and he said I couldn't go." They are obligated to investigate. Three or four weeks isn't a whole lot of time, given their case loads and such. But I am in total agreement, at this point, the parents need a good attorney, and some way or another, if this complaint comes to nothing, which it likely will, the teenager's finances should be the ones that suffer to pay for that attorney. That should be a good lesson. Ending up in juvie is a possible negative outcome for the teen that they probably would not like unless the abuse was genuine and over the top. But I am seeing this happen more and more as I said, as the definition of parental abuse gets altered slightly by our society.

Rawryan1

Thank you all

We do currently have her seeing a psychologist. To go deeper, she is my step daughter. I have no rights to make certain decisions. My wife (her mom) allows this to go on. Its destroyed my marriage. In the past few years she has repeatedly stolen from students, teachers, family, etc.. made death threats to students, stolen over $1000 of merchandise from schools, ran away, mixed household chemicals and cayenne pepper in a bottle then attempted to take it to school to squirt in someone's face, etc.. I have screamed out for help from Broward County Police, Forest Glen middle school, Sawgrass Middle School and even the CPS agents. No one is listening to me! I brought my daughter with cerebral palsy into this marriage and now I am scared for her and will be leaving soon. It has stolen my manhood because I feel like a failure. Thank you for listening.

Just Blue

We do currently have her seeing a psychologist. To go deeper, she is my step daughter. I have no rights to make certain decisions. My wife (her mom) allows this to go on. Its destroyed my marriage. In the past few years she has repeatedly stolen from students, teachers, family, etc.. made death threats to students, stolen over $1000 of merchandise from schools, ran away, mixed household chemicals and cayenne pepper in a bottle then attempted to take it to school to squirt in someone's face, etc.. I have screamed out for help from Broward County Police, Forest Glen middle school, Sawgrass Middle School and even the CPS agents. No one is listening to me! I brought my daughter with cerebral palsy into this marriage and now I am scared for her and will be leaving soon. It has stolen my manhood because I feel like a failure. Thank you for listening.
I suggest you rescue your ...manhood from you wife and take your disabled child and yourself out of this situation. BTW: Why was stepdaughter being grounded in the first place??:confused:

PayrollHRGuy

Well, this isn't your county's first failure with a teenager.

The child clearly needs more than outpatient counseling. You should probably check this link. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/treatment-rehab/residential-boarding-school/fl/broward-county

Rawryan1

I suggest you rescue your ...manhood from you wife and take your disabled child and yourself out of this situation. BTW: Why was stepdaughter being grounded in the first place??:confused:
Because I had just found more stolen property, from her school, hidden in her room.

commentator

Yes, this is a situation that is likely going to be a deal breaker, as you have another child (daughter)you brought into the mix to consider. To be terribly blunt, it isn't your problem to contend with, it is your wife's and it doesn't sound like she is really trying, so any crying out for help to the authorities from you isn't going to work. You don't want to end up having to be the one to pay for this child to be within the social services/juvenile corrections network.Best wishes to you as you move forward, counseling for YOU is imperative here. Good divorce attorney also strongly recommended.

Last edited:

Rawryan1

Yes, this is a situation that is likely going to be a deal breaker, as you have another child (daughter)you brought into the mix to consider. To be terribly blunt, it isn't your problem to contend with, it is your wife's and it doesn't sound like she is really trying, so any crying out for help to the authorities from you isn't going to work. You don't want to end up having to be the one to pay for this child to be within the social services/juvenile corrections network.Best wishes to you as you move forward, counseling for YOU is imperative here. Good divorce attorney also strongly recommended.
Thank you. I will get an attorney.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because I had just found more stolen property, from her school, hidden in her room.
I assume you reported the find to the school. Did you also report it to the police?

Like others, I suggest that you protect your child and leave. Your wife was probably feeling like a failure herself, and hoping that you could fix the situation - even though you'd then be an overstepping stepparent. (Even the parents of model students can feel like failures... And your step kid is no model student.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">