• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist Scammed??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchell1204

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a old houseboat that was free, just pay the back slip rental fees. I called the woman that lives 40 miles away in the same state of TN. She told me she went through a divorce and she needed to get rid of the boat. The slip rental wasn't paid for 6 months and $1800 was owed.

I went and looked at the boat the next day and really liked it. It was worth around $6000 from my previous houseboat experience. I seen identical boats for $12,995. I called the woman back and told her I wanted it and I wanted to call the marina for the exact amount owed. At this point we had an oral agreement on the sale. I tried for five days to get a hold of someone at the marina. She called me the fifth day and told me she finally got in contact with the marina. She said her ex run the electric up and the bill was $2700. But she would sell me the boat for $1800 as agreed on. I'm a truck driver and had to leave this day. I told her I would send her a $800 good faith deposit to let her know I was serious on the purchase. That I would pay the balance when I come back in and could get a bill of sale. She agreed.

The next day I sent her two $400 money orders ($700 cap on one). Starting two days from this point I kept calling her to verify she got the money orders. I couldn't get her to answer the phone or return calls for ten days. Finally the tenth day she answers the phone. She said she didn't get my money orders until yesterday and didn't think I was interested. She said she sold it to someone else. I asked why didn't she call me?? She couldn't answer.
In the meantime, I even bought two new props for the boat off ebay as she said her ex stole the props off it. My family was excited and I planned on living on it my days off this summer.

Heartbroke, I asked her to send me my money back and that would be the end of the story. She said she would mail the money back the next day.

Now it's over two weeks later and no money and she won't answer the phone or return my calls. Just four days ago I seen the same boat on Craigslist for sale for $4900. The guy said he was helping a friend out and needed a quick sale.
I posted my own ad saying "Houseboat Beware" so I could warn others. He took his ad down within 2 hours. I had some emails with potential buyers thanking me for warning.

I'm 49 yrs old and never had to sue or prosecute anyone, so I don't know what to do. I did my internet homework on the woman from facebook and google. She works at a government weapons facility, has a very nice house and we talked for hours initially. That's why I felt comfortable with the deal. I think she is in a financial burden from a divorce and this is why everything evolved this way. I think after she got my deposit, her friend convinced her the boat was worth more and would help out. The higher amount owed the marina I think also played a role. But a oral agreement and a deposit, she shouldn't of cut my throat. Where do I go from here? I feel it is criminal what she done by not repaying me. But after calling the courthouse to take out a warrant, they told me it was a civil matter. I checked, she cashed the money orders March 2.

So should I sue for what she owes me? the props? punitive damages and how much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Mass_Shyster

So should I sue for what she owes me?
Yes
the props?
You can try, but you probably won't get it.
punitive damages and how much?
You can try, but you probably won't get it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Taken directly from Craigslist:
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
  • DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

mitchell1204

Thanks Steve fot the reply. I'll be happy to get my $800 back. I'm usually very cautious online but felt okay after I checked her out online and had so much info of a normal person, so I thought.

I'm home now and I'm going to drive the 40 miles Saturday to her house and meet her in person.

I'll try for the $5000 small claims max and let the judge decide if it goes that far.

CraigFL

Here'a another animal reference... Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. My guess is you will never see your $800 again.... People like this will disappear or will never have anything of value to give back to you.

swalsh411

How sure are you that this person you talked to is actually the woman you think she is? You may drive out there to meet her and (if she exists) find a person absolutely clueless about the whole arrangement. It is shockingly easy to impersonate somebody through email and phone calls. Just a warning....

mitchell1204

I sent her another email and she replied that she mailed me a certified check on Mar 1 and to stop calling her a scammer :). I replied I never received it and she needed to stop payment and send another to my PO Box. I told her originally to mail it to my PO Box, but supposingly she mailed it to my house address on the original envelope I sent her.

To Swalsh, I traced her phone number and also traced her email (IP address) and all goes to the same house at the address given. I have hotmail, you can right click on the email in the main screen and find the IP address of the source. Then run a IP trace to the location.

I think either someone stole my mail since I'm on the road alot or she is buying time to repay me now. The lack of communication, I believe she borrowed my money with intentions of repaying like when she gets her tax returns???

I'll wait a another week before I file small claims.

Last edited:

mitchell1204

Happy ending. A month later, I got a cashiers check today for $800. She didn't mail it until March 12 and it had to be forwarded. She lied when she said she mailed it on the 1st. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">