• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Ex-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marriedinhell

What is the name of your state?MD

My husband currently has physical joint custody of his 2 children shared with his ex-wife (2 consecutive weeks each). She is very disdruntled because he has remarried. They have just finished a custody year long custody case. She decided that she would get back at him by trying to get full custody of his children because she, in her words, doesn't like me.

Anyway, she has suddenly decided that because he has changed the children's middle school to our district and she is required to drop them off at the bus stop every morning during her 2 week visitation, she would stop sharing the school expenses including gym uniform, lunch $, band equipment, etc.

I would like to know, without having to hire an attorney, how can we get her to pay? There is not specific stating school expenses in their custody agreement. My husband is still paying off the $17000 debt to his attorney for this past custody case.

Should we write her a letter requesting the reimbursement of these expenses?
Does joint custody automatically mean the parents share expense such as school?

Thank you for your help. :confused:

LdiJ

marriedinhell said:
What is the name of your state?MD

My husband currently has physical joint custody of his 2 children shared with his ex-wife (2 consecutive weeks each). She is very disdruntled because he has remarried. They have just finished a custody year long custody case. She decided that she would get back at him by trying to get full custody of his children because she, in her words, doesn't like me.

Anyway, she has suddenly decided that because he has changed the children's middle school to our district and she is required to drop them off at the bus stop every morning during her 2 week visitation, she would stop sharing the school expenses including gym uniform, lunch $, band equipment, etc.

I would like to know, without having to hire an attorney, how can we get her to pay? There is not specific stating school expenses in their custody agreement. My husband is still paying off the $17000 debt to his attorney for this past custody case.

Should we write her a letter requesting the reimbursement of these expenses?
Does joint custody automatically mean the parents share expense such as school?

Thank you for your help. :confused:
Did your husband have the legal right to change the children's school without mom's agreement? In a true joint custody arrangement he might not have had the right to do that. Do the custody orders make any provisions for sharing those kinds of expenses? Does either parent pay any child support? Which parent has the higher income?

In other words...your question isn't as simple as you might think.

marriedinhell

LDIJ:

My husband makes more money and he pays her child support. As for the kids changing schools, he asked her because it was in the best interest of the children. She disagreed, they went to court. It was proven that the school they are enrolled in now has an 80% better reading and math scores than the previous school they attended. The judge agreed and granted the request to change schools. As for the school expense, there is nothing in writing. It was just somnething they did. It wasn't until I came in the picture 4 years ago that she became vendictive.

LdiJ

marriedinhell said:
LDIJ:

My husband makes more money and he pays her child support. As for the kids changing schools, he asked her because it was in the best interest of the children. She disagreed, they went to court. It was proven that the school they are enrolled in now has an 80% better reading and math scores than the previous school they attended. The judge agreed and granted the request to change schools. As for the school expense, there is nothing in writing. It was just somnething they did. It wasn't until I came in the picture 4 years ago that she became vendictive.
Ok...then unless he takes it back to court and gets her ordered to share those expenses, he can't force her to do so. He can certainly ask....but he can't force her to do so.

Personally, if I had "won" on an issue like the child's school, I would suck it up and pay the expenses myself.....but that's just me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LdiJ said:
Personally, if I had "won" on an issue like the child's school, I would suck it up and pay the expenses myself.....but that's just me.
Me too. It's not like it's THAT expensive.

LdiJ

kcs00 said:
I have 1 question. Why is he paying her child support and he has physical custody???
He doesn't...its a 50/50 schedule. He has the higher income therefore he is paying some child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">