• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Idea - remove the doors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lil Red Wagon

Following a discussion on another site and one of the members was wondering how to get a tenant out that wasn't paying rent and refused to move. Another poster suggested that they remove the doors from the home. I laughed so hard it hurt.
But seriously, wouldn't this be illegal?

FlyingRon

Yes, it would be illegal. Pulling crap like that will get you in trouble pretty quick. You're going to have to follow the legal eviction methods.

Just Blue

Following a discussion on another site and one of the members was wondering how to get a tenant out that wasn't paying rent and refused to move. Another poster suggested that they remove the doors from the home. I laughed so hard it hurt.
But seriously, wouldn't this be illegal?
Yes. Of course it would be. Don't know why you would find that funny...

The way to get the tenant out is to file for eviction.

Mass_Shyster

I know a guy ....

Tried to evict his non-paying tenants. They counterclaimed because the apartment wasn't de-leaded. The judge allowed them six months to find a new place to live. Landlord went into apartment and removed all the interior doors (including bathroom and bedrooms) so he could have them de-leaded.

FarmerJ

Lead abatement especially if a judge ordered it with out a bonafide Test by someone from the city would be reason to fight a judges order , BUT removing a tenants entry door would be considered a self help eviction by most judges and some cities have literally added language to city ordinances that forbid landlords from removing entry doors , door locks in occupied units where the goal is to drive a tenant out instead of using the courts ( Chicago Ill is one place where ive seen the ordinance and I would lay odds that its still on the books too)

Lil Red Wagon

I've always appreciated the laws that forbid landlords from changing the locks while a tenant is out. I can't imagine how upsetting it would be to come back from work and find you are locked out of the one place you feel safe.
Laughing at the idea that someone would bother taking the doors off a home I suppose was just that I found the idea so ludicrous. You'd have to be petty to do something like that.

Just Blue

I've always appreciated the laws that forbid landlords from changing the locks while a tenant is out. I can't imagine how upsetting it would be to come back from work and find you are locked out of the one place you feel safe.
Laughing at the idea that someone would bother taking the doors off a home I suppose was just that I found the idea so ludicrous. You'd have to be petty to do something like that.
Petty? You'd have to be a bloody idiot! ;)

FarmerJ

L R W in many places landlord tenant laws evolved because of two things , some landlords did some things that were not fair for quite a while and got away with it because it was not a regulated area of LL/T law and elected officials responded to complaints about the issue and then you have cities where the majority of people rent so you have city councils that go to extremes when writing new landlord tenant laws such as how in Minneapolis mn the city has a new ordinances that take away choices that LLs had and now LLs will be forced to rent to some tenants who they NEVER would have rented to a year ago.( these new laws in Mpls the city claims is to help with affordable housing issues instead of doing more to create either public housing or housing that is by contract tied to low income guidelines in exchange for very favorable to the LL mortgage terms to replace all the older mortgage programs that rewarded LLs for keeping rents in a low rent program that were lost as so many eventually paid off those dirt cheap older mortgages and went full market rate ) which I think all it will do is force rental cost up and rents will end up going up as well . SO laws about self help- illegal evictions addressing things like door and lock removal or utility shut offs by landlords who want to drive a tenant out have been written, Same idea as to why so many states now require landlords to send to tenants demand notices when they don't pay their rent ( which vary from 3 -14 days) in my state a landlord used to be able to not have a grace period in a lease and if a tenant didn't pay their rent by the 2nd or third many LLs didn't waste time and would file for a eviction hearing based on non pay that quick so that's another example of how some states have reacted to complaints by tenants so now most landlords in my state require first last and dep all at nce before giving up keys.

Pinkie39

Petty? You'd have to be a bloody idiot!
There were two slumlords in Cleveland (brothers) who entered a tenant's apartment and stole a box with her children's baby photos, and took one shoe from each pair they found in the home. Among other atrocious things they did to multiple tenants. True story. There were a number of news articles about it.

Pinkie39

There were two slumlords in Cleveland (brothers) who entered a tenant's apartment and stole a box with her children's baby photos, and took one shoe from each pair they found in the home. Among other atrocious things they did to multiple tenants. True story. There were a number of news articles about it.
Found a link to the article, if it's ok to post:

Judge orders notorious Cleveland landlords to pay $4 million to female tenants (photos, video)
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2016/01/judge_finds_that_notorious_cle.html?outputType=amp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">