• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockboflex

Am renting a commercial property in NC. We were told by landlord and allowed to build a wooden fenced in the area directly behind our rented free standing building for picnic tables and benches for customers. We share a parking lot with owner who has a restaurant business in another building on the property that he owns. Upon completion of play area the landlord informs us that we are not paying enough rent to use that area and he will have a new lease drawn up to cover the extra space. He does this after we have expended a ton of money setting this all up with him often coming over to see the progress. The new lease which he wants us to sign is twice the rent and becomes effective now, which is in the middle of our one year lease. We told him we will not sign it and will vacate his property at the end of our lease. He has now put up no parking signs all around the property with the exception of the three spots right beside the building we rent. He has called the police on us when our employees disregarded the signs. The police laughed it off, but his harassment is hurting our business. As a side note, we had the fire department and a town inspector show up this week for more inspections on us. The building has a ton of electrical issues that we are being forced to upgrade for the last 6 months that we are in business here. The latest action from this landlord was the eviction letter that he sent certified mail this week. Supposedly we have violated the lease in some way but as of yet we can't figure it out. He also claims when he evicts us we will still owe all the rent. Bottom line here is he is slightly unbalanced and we think it bothers him that we are very busy and making money. He goes on profanity laced rants about how we are disrespecting him and his business, but we don't know why? Do we have any recourse against this person?

BL

Am renting a commercial property in NC. We were told by landlord and allowed to build a wooden fenced in the area directly behind our rented free standing building for picnic tables and benches for customers. We share a parking lot with owner who has a restaurant business in another building on the property that he owns. Upon completion of play area the landlord informs us that we are not paying enough rent to use that area and he will have a new lease drawn up to cover the extra space. He does this after we have expended a ton of money setting this all up with him often coming over to see the progress. The new lease which he wants us to sign is twice the rent and becomes effective now, which is in the middle of our one year lease. We told him we will not sign it and will vacate his property at the end of our lease. He has now put up no parking signs all around the property with the exception of the three spots right beside the building we rent. He has called the police on us when our employees disregarded the signs. The police laughed it off, but his harassment is hurting our business. As a side note, we had the fire department and a town inspector show up this week for more inspections on us. The building has a ton of electrical issues that we are being forced to upgrade for the last 6 months that we are in business here. The latest action from this landlord was the eviction letter that he sent certified mail this week. Supposedly we have violated the lease in some way but as of yet we can't figure it out. He also claims when he evicts us we will still owe all the rent. Bottom line here is he is slightly unbalanced and we think it bothers him that we are very busy and making money. He goes on profanity laced rants about how we are disrespecting him and his business, but we don't know why? Do we have any recourse against this person?
Sound like the arguments won't stop,but let me ask does you lease the property also he put up the signs. If so take them down.

You should at least consult an attorney ,but why would the LL call inspections on code violations on himself with property he owns?

Sounds unstable. Stick your ground and consult an attorney in the feild.

Should have got the fence and play area construct permission in writting though.

rockboflex

Sound like the arguments won't stop,but let me ask do you lease the property also he put up the signs. If so take them down.

You should at least consult an attorney ,but why would the LL call inspections on code violations on himself with property he owns?

Sounds unstable. Stick your ground and consult an attorney in the feild.

Should have got the fence and play area construct permission in writting though.
Oh, tell me about it...I'd have had everything in writing if I knew he was going to be this big of a prick. The buildings with the signs are out buildings on the property, on in which he stores catering stuff in...not our actual building that we are renting. I plan on contacting an attorney this coming week, I was just trying to bounce it off a few minds before the appointment. As a side note, would I have to tell this guy I'm recording him if we are talking in a public place...I'd love to for the court to hear this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">