• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy lease break / verbal agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Immorto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hi! I'd like to start off by saying that I'm normally an A+ citizen. I've berated myself for a couple of months because of the situation that I've put myself in. I signed a lease for a rental apartment 10 months ago for a 12 month term with some (former) friends (who were a couple. Obviously a bad decision). About 6 months in, I realized how controlling, demeaning, and harassing they were (telling me I couldn't bring my GF in unless we spoke for 5 min upon entering, couldn't bring guests in 'with me even' un-announced, etc etc etc.). I decided a couple months ago to look into any options that I had to leave the incredibly horrid environment. I talked to my leasing office, talked to my roommates, and decided that getting a sub-lease was my best bet. We would swap lease, and I would be off the hook. However, upon finding multiple qualified applicants, my male roommate declined, saying he didn't "want to live with a stranger", but told me weeks earlier that he would pay full rent for me, or regretfully have somebody live with him. My female roommate told me that if I didn't find a sub-lease, that I had to pay full rent for the remainder of the lease period.

They were always breaking up and getting back together, making it my business when they would tell me and put me in the middle of their lives. Yelling and screaming every morning and night, making sleep impossible, and reminding me how I "never spent time with them" because I was always trying to get away from their insane lives. Obviously, they didn't talk about it, and were probably broken up. I decided to pay her for last month (May) because I didn't have a sublease, but wanted to have a civilized conversation with the both of them about my options since they didn't want a sublease. The female refused "was busy", so I talked with my male roommate. We both VERBALLY AGREED that since he didn't want to have a sublease (want is a bad legal term for him), but still wanted rent, he asked for my 3,000 dollar couch, to which, I declined. I told him I would pay 200-half(full rent is 800, 1750 for us all) of current rent and not a dime more, we both shook, hugged, and went on our ways. Earlier today I got a text from the female saying the month of June was due, and that my male roommate has removed himself from the situation, refusing to pay my portion of the rent. He refuses to acknowledge that we had a conversation, shook, and decided on what I would pay them. I feel as though it is out of spite and revenge for me wanting to leave. Is that him breaking a Verbal Contract? I honestly don't know if I should take them to small claims? Or if I would lose? Should I just pay them the rent? The females dad is part of the co-lease since she is only 19/20, and he is a very powerful man. I really need help on this. :confused:

Thank you in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">