• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Mother-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJSpi7567

My husband and I live in Ohio. Our daughter is 1 month old. My Mother-in-law is currently threatening my husband for grand parent visitation rights. She has only seen our daughter one time since she was born, due to her unstable mental health (she has boarder line personality disorder paired with extreme narcissistic behaviors and substance abuse history/issues) and complete hatred for me and the rest of our family. My husband and I came to the decision for her to have a ‘6 month time out’ after she sent terrible messages to both my mom and my husband, (I’m sure she would have sent them to me but I have blocked her phone number as well as on all social media sites). Once she was told she will be placed on another ‘time out’ (yes, this is not the first time we’ve had to put her on one) she started blowing up my husband’s phone with cruel text messages and threatening to serve us court papers in November, if my husband doesn’t bring our daughter to see her and ‘talk things out.’ She keeps threatening him that she will also serve my parents these court papers because in her mind she thinks they are telling us to keep our daughter away from her, which they do not control our decisions. Both me and my husband hold steady respectable jobs, do not do any illegal substances, have never been convicted of any crimes, and as far as I know are good parents. I was just wondering what grounds she thinks she can stand on and if she can actually serve us and my parents papers like she threatens.

LdiJ

My husband and I live in Ohio. Our daughter is 1 month old. My Mother-in-law is currently threatening my husband for grand parent visitation rights. She has only seen our daughter one time since she was born, due to her unstable mental health (she has boarder line personality disorder paired with extreme narcissistic behaviors and substance abuse history/issues) and complete hatred for me and the rest of our family. My husband and I came to the decision for her to have a ‘6 month time out’ after she sent terrible messages to both my mom and my husband, (I’m sure she would have sent them to me but I have blocked her phone number as well as on all social media sites). Once she was told she will be placed on another ‘time out’ (yes, this is not the first time we’ve had to put her on one) she started blowing up my husband’s phone with cruel text messages and threatening to serve us court papers in November, if my husband doesn’t bring our daughter to see her and ‘talk things out.’ She keeps threatening him that she will also serve my parents these court papers because in her mind she thinks they are telling us to keep our daughter away from her, which they do not control our decisions. Both me and my husband hold steady respectable jobs, do not do any illegal substances, have never been convicted of any crimes, and as far as I know are good parents. I was just wondering what grounds she thinks she can stand on and if she can actually serve us and my parents papers like she threatens.
From what I just read, on a couple of different sites, Ohio does not give grandparents standing to sue for visitation rights when the family is intact. That means the parents are married and living together. So, if your mother goes to an attorney the attorney should tell her she does not have standing to sue for visitation.

If she proceeds with the case anyway, your attorney should be able to get the case dismissed because she does not have standing.

You can find the same sites I found by googling "grandparent visitation rights Ohio".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She has no grounds for visitation. And while LD is correct she doesn't have standing for visitation, case law has restricted the statute even further recently. Do not worry about her getting visitation ordered unless you sleep on your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">