• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creating a game and want to use Nintendo Themes. Can I?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alishara

I have a team put together and we are interested in making a video game. We wanted to make an unlockable area dedicated to classic games of Nintendo so I checked into their website to see if I would need to obtain rights and on their website they've posted, "use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved." Would I still be able to create what I want to create?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada.

quincy

I have a team put together and we are interested in making a video game. We wanted to make an unlockable area dedicated to classic games of Nintendo so I checked into their website to see if I would need to obtain rights and on their website they've posted, "use of Nintendo's properties without formal permission by Nintendo may still be allowed under the relevant laws of the particular jurisdiction involved." Would I still be able to create what I want to create?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada.
The following is a link to Nintendo's corporate legal information: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

You can see from reading through the information on that link how your team's intended use of Nintendo games could infringe on copyrights and trademark rights.

I suggest you acquire permission prior to creating what you want to create.

Last edited:

Alishara

The link comes up with HTTP 404 error. On the note regarding obtaining rights, who would I have to go through in order to do so? Also according to Nintendo, they are unable to grant permission. Thank you!

quincy

The link comes up with HTTP 404 error. On the note regarding obtaining rights, who would I have to go through in order to do so? Also according to Nintendo, they are unable to grant permission. Thank you!
Sorry about the link - I apparently added a random period. It works now.

I am thinking you will have a difficult time acquiring a license to use the Nintendo trademark or Nintendo's copyrighted material, but I wish you good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">