• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my suitemate "T" currently discovered that my other suitemate "A" had taken her social security number and credit card numbers and maxed out her cards. also, "A" opened new accounts and maxed them out as well. while filing a report with the campus and local police, we discovered less than a month before she was arrested for purchasing books with bad checks in another persons name at our school. when campus police searched her room, they discovered numerous fake and stolen ids. the school is pressing charges against "A" and expelled her as well.

we filed a report with our local police, but nothing has been done as they tell us it is the credit card companies responsibility to go after "A". But, "T"'s credit is currently destroyed, and it has taken sooo much time to try and correct what was wrong. We have tons of proof it is this girl, and we were wondering if there is a way to sue "A", and for what? The reason our local police won't prosecute her as a felony (the other arrest was a felony), is because not one SINGLE transaction was over 500. (I would say there are at least 25 illegal transcations), but it is a big city, and they have better things to do!). We have everything, signatures, addresses of where purchases was delivered too, as well as names. What, if anything, should we do and how do we go about doing it? Thanks so much! WE live in Rhode Island, my email is [email protected]. Thanks again...the current total charged is over a couple thousand.


Senior Member
From your post, any attempts to sue "A" will be an exercise in futility... you will NEVER get any payment from her. And it sounds like your lawsuit would be the least of her worries. (And let the credit card companies go after her if they chose.. they will void the charges.. see next paragraph).

What "T" has is a 'simple' complaint, called "Identity Theft". Have "T" run a current credit report from ALL three Credit Reporting Agencies. Then look for any credit accounts that are NOT hers. When you find them (or if you already know them from the 'found cards'), contact the credit card company and file a 'theft affidavit' with them.
They will cancel the accounts and void the charges so that "T" doesn't have to pay. Also, make sure that they remove any negative reports that they might have filed as a result of the fraudulent credit cards.

Here are some online links that will give you more information about ID theft and what to do:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential