• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit balance of a deceased relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arb0005

I live in Maryland and my grandmother is elderly and has
a large credit card balance of about a $9000.00. The bank
is located in Delaware. She has no funds and no estate when
she passes on. I have been trying to help her pay this bill
but am not financially able to do so for much longer. What
would happen to this balance after she passes on? Is any
living family member legally obligated to pay same? What would I need to do to have this amount discharged? She has no estate they could go after and she is the only party on
the account. Please help

HomeGuru

Upon her passing, the debt would become uncollectible and the bank would then write if off. This in turn would affect other customers such as myself by higher interest and related costs to make up for the loss that bank takes. It is the old bank business practice of making the customer pay for their losses. "Pass the increase on to the consumer" says the bank President. "We've been ripping these people off for years and we're not about to get screwed by unpaid credit card accounts."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">