• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit bureau did nothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cqmil

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Live in Georgia Debt problem in Minnesota

Thank you for this site. I followed the instructions and sent a copy of a letter based on the sample sample letter to remove erronious items to the 3 credit Bureaus. I explained that the 2 debts were not mine but my ex wife's who had them discharged through a Bankruptcy which contained a sworn statment that she was sole debtor. I sent copies of her bankrupcy, which was filed well after the divorce. All 3 basicly replied: "just because you are divorced doesn't mean you don't have the debt". The debts are still there. I have never been notified in anyway of the debts and while the one store seems to have my name they have no record of what or where the debt went. They say it is at some collection agency but don't know where. How do I get the credit bureaus to remove them? Thank you for any help.

Ladynred

Were these joint accounts that had your name on them as well as your ex-wife's ? If they were, the divorce decree means diddly to a creditor, they can pursue you for the debt and the collections will go on your reports.

If you were not joint on these accounts, then you need to try disputing them again, but you can't use 'not mine' again, they will reject it.

I suggest you head over to www.creditboards.com and let them help you in your next round of disputes.

cqmil

CB did nothing

Thank you for the reply, ladynred. I do not think they are or were joint accounts. How can I find that out? No one has any information on the account except it was/is on my credit report. I also have followed your advice and asked for help at the credit boards. Thanks again

Ladynred

Are there any notations at all on your CR for these accounts ? There is usually something that indicates whether the account was an individual, joint, or only authorized user. If there are no notations, try calling the creditor directly and asking.

I'd be willing to be that the CRA's did not do a proper investigation, but only did their usual slack job of just consulting their database and matching name and address to what's there. When you dispute they are *supposed* to verify with furnisher of the information, unfortunately they don't actually do so in too many cases. You're going to have to keep after them, restructure your disputes, etc.

B

bfason

Contact the creditors to dispute the debt, demand copies of any contracts of other evidence of the debt, and let them know that they are reporting false information to a credit bureau, it is damaging you, and that you intend to sue them for libel if they can't back up what they are reporting.

cqmil

CB did nothing

Thank you again ladynred. The credit reports lists one as an individual and one with no notation (individual is definitely not mine). I called the store on the other (no notation) and they now say they have no record of me or the account. When I had originally inquired about the debt they told me they didn't know anything about it but it had been sent to collection agencies (2). They gave the name of one agency which said they had no record. Now the store has nothing and the person I talked to suggested I go on line to the credit bureaus and dispute the matter. I am not sure if on line would be a good idea. I sent them registered letters before. If I send a new letter, what type should I use? (Since the information is wrong on the report) Thanks again for all your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">