• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbsingers

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
What are the laws governing
a.) Statute of limitations in PA for collections
b.) Contact by agents of collection company ie. how often? at work?
c.) Contact at relatives home by collection agent
d.) Contact of husband of credit card holder(not listed as a card holder)

zippysgoddess

Well first of all, the SOL only has to do with how long they have to file a lawsuit against you to attempt to collect their money, they can send you letters and try to get their money for the rest of your life. Even if it is past the SOL, they can still sue you, and you can use the SOL as your defense in having the case dismissed by the court.

Here is a link to the SOL: http://www.carreonandassociates.com/articles/statute.htm#Pennsylvania

If they contact you at work, you will need to let them know that these calls may have an adverse effect on your employment, don't be surprised if they will not take verbal notice of this, be prepared to send them a notice, certified mail, return receipt requested! How often they can call at home, of course depends on if they are actually reaching you or not, if they have reached you, and call many times a day, this may constitute harrassment, but can be hard to prove unless you document all calls.

They may contact a relative, or spouse, whose name isn't on the debt, ONCE to try to locate you, if you have not responded to calls or letters to your home, or they have reason to believe they may not have correct contact information. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED to discuss the debt with anyone, whose name is not on it, including a spouse.

You need to google the information for the FCRA and FACTA and see if they are in violation, if so, you can file complaints.

In PA, you have the same protections from an original creditor, as you would if it was a seperate collection agency!

bbsingers

Thank you so much. When I referred to calling employers, I was talking about my husbands employer. My husband IS NOT listed on this credit card. It was taken in my name only. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Ladynred

HEY ARE NOT ALLOWED to discuss the debt with anyone, whose name is not on it, including a spouse.
Sorry, not correct. A spouse is NOT considered a '3rd party contact'. However, calling your spouse's employer is NOT allowed as your spouse is not liable for your debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">