• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Company is OUT OF BUSINESS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bneefreak

What is the name of your state? I'm in FL now but I used to be in CT when I opened this account. I have been in FL for about a month now but my mailing address was changed with them in February.
I received my credit card statement from First Consumers National Bank and noticed that I had a zero available credit eventhough I should have available credit. I called the credit card company and the automated machine said that I needed to write to them for any inquiries. I used to be able to speak with someone but not any longer. I decided to call another credit card company to see what was going on and they said that I should contact the BBB. So when I spoke to them they were aware of a problem with the national banks and said that I should call the comptroller's office. I called them and this is where I was told that they were out of business. I asked the man what to do now but he said that that was up to me.
So here is my question- do I have to continue to pay this account off or since they are out of business is there some statute that I can get out of it?
I went through my credit card statements and noticed now that my available credit has been zero "none" since the closing date of March 2003. I just sent in another payment to them. I went through bankruptcy in 1995 and I have now established my credit and I am waiting for the 10 years to be up so I can buy a house. So I don't want to mess up my credit at this point. But I figured maybe someone here knew of some statute that I might be able to inform the CRA's about so that I would not have to pay off the credit card company (wishfull thinking I guess but it doesn't hurt to try).:)

bigun

Nope, keep paying. Just because they don't issue new credit, doesn't mean they can't collect the loans they've already granted.

J

jennimata

exactly. you used the money. just because a business closes down doesnt mean you get off with a free meal. get real!

bneefreak

Thank you

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I will continue to pay off the debt. I just figured I should ask, you never know....

Thanks again!:)

Ladynred

Just because a credit card issuer goes out of business doesn't mean all those debts are void or forgiven. The accounts are either sold off to other companies or they are administered by some trustee and payments go thru a lockbox. SOMEONE will get your money, one way or the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">