• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debt after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgriswold

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My mother recently passed away and left me the beneficiary of her $30,000.00 life insurance policy which I planned on using to pay off her $5,000.00 credit card debt and then split the balance between myself and my 3 siblings, per my mothers wishes.
I recently heard that I may not have to pay her debt off. Is this true? She has no property other than an old car which she signed over to me prior to her death.
Also, will I have to claim the life insurance as income?

seniorjudge

tgriswold said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My mother recently passed away and left me the beneficiary of her $30,000.00 life insurance policy which I planned on using to pay off her $5,000.00 credit card debt and then split the balance between myself and my 3 siblings, per my mothers wishes.
I recently heard that I may not have to pay her debt off. Is this true? She has no property other than an old car which she signed over to me prior to her death.
Also, will I have to claim the life insurance as income?
You do not have to pay a debt that you did not incur.

justalayman

To expand on SJ's post a bit:

The life insurance is not part of mom's estate and therefor not responsible for any debt the estate may have.

Pertaining to the income issue, I don't know. Others on the site will. Hopefully they will fill you in on that .

sturgbe

If your mother was the owner of the insurance policy then it IS part of her estate... whether or not the credit card company can attach the life inurance policy (any cash values) is another question. Each state has its own creditor/protection laws. I do not know the law in your state.

The life insurance proceeds will be received income tax free.

justalayman

sturgbe said:
If your mother was the owner of the insurance policy then it IS part of her estate... whether or not the credit card company can attach the life inurance policy (any cash values) is another question. Each state has its own creditor/protection laws. I do not know the law in your state.

The life insurance proceeds will be received income tax free.
The benificiary payment is not part of the estate but I will not argue as to the policy itself as being part of the estate. The thing is mom cannot cash it in anymore. Are they not usually payable upon death? Therefor it would have no cash value as a policy.

Betty

As a follow-up to my reply, I do not believe you are responsible for paying your mother's debts, especially from the proceeds of a life ins. policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">