• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Debt/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michelle Rene'

What is the name of your state?COLORADO
In my divorce I received all credit card debt. I filed bankruptcy. Even though I got the debt they are still bothering my ex husband. He is unemployed and has nothing in his bank act. He received a letter from one of the creditors attorneys asking him to contact them about a settlement arrangement. He can't pay anything with no job what should he do??? What can they do to him?????????????? :confused:

Ladynred

Creditors are NOT bound by YOUR divorce decree, they don't care WHO got what in the divorce, if his name was on the accounts that you had discharged, then HE is LIABLE for those debts.

Question - when was the last time the ORIGINAL creditors were paid on these debts ??? How long ago did you file for bankruptcy ??

Ladynred

CO has a short 3-year statute of limitations on credit card debts. If the last payment was less than 3 years ago, then they COULD still sue your Ex for these debts.

Its also quite probable that even though he got a letter from 'an attorney', they are likely nothing more than a collection agency. Do you know who it is he got the letter from ?

If your EX has no property, the likelihood of them suing him is less than if he did have a house they could threaten. If he doesn't have any other assets, then he as nothing they could get from him. If his credit is already shot, then the collectors will see that suing him probably won't gain them anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">