• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowwhite1

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

In 1999 The company I worked for closed its doors. Out of work, I was not able to pay on my credit card. I owed $1,000.00. When I was able to find a position, My income was very low which resulted in not making a payment. The money I made was for living expenses only. The credit card company turned it over for collection. Since 1999 the rate has increased from $1,000.00 to $3,000.000, late fees, etc... Everyday I receive theatening calls from the firm. I also am criticized for not being responsible and so much more. I agreed to send them $100.00 and $50.00 a month until the bill was paid. The lawyer agreed and said he would send a letter to confirm this. The letter never came..Approximately one week later the attorney called and asked if I sent $100.00 I replied that I was waiting for the letter to confirm the agreement that was made over the phone regarding $50.00 payments. He said he did not know what I was talking about and that the debt amounts to $3,000.00. He also said if I know what is good for me I would send it in. My question to you is, will they sue me? If so, what can be done to me? Should I get an attorney? Should I file bankruptcy? If I file bankruptcy, how much would the bankruptcy fee be and also when a bankruptcy is filed, is it advertised in the local paper. Please respond asap as I am deeply stressed. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Veronica1228

snowwhite1 said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

In 1999 The company I worked for closed its doors. Out of work, I was not able to pay on my credit card. I owed $1,000.00. When I was able to find a position, My income was very low which resulted in not making a payment. The money I made was for living expenses only. The credit card company turned it over for collection. Since 1999 the rate has increased from $1,000.00 to $3,000.000, late fees, etc... Everyday I receive theatening calls from the firm. I also am criticized for not being responsible and so much more. I agreed to send them $100.00 and $50.00 a month until the bill was paid. The lawyer agreed and said he would send a letter to confirm this. The letter never came..Approximately one week later the attorney called and asked if I sent $100.00 I replied that I was waiting for the letter to confirm the agreement that was made over the phone regarding $50.00 payments. He said he did not know what I was talking about and that the debt amounts to $3,000.00. He also said if I know what is good for me I would send it in. My question to you is, will they sue me? If so, what can be done to me? Should I get an attorney? Should I file bankruptcy? If I file bankruptcy, how much would the bankruptcy fee be and also when a bankruptcy is filed, is it advertised in the local paper. Please respond asap as I am deeply stressed. Thank you very much.
The SOL for credit cards (open accounts) in OK is 3 years from the date of last activity. Since it sounds like the SOL has expired, I suggest you NOT file for bankruptcy since you don't legally have to pay. Send the lawyer a C&D letter by CRRRM and this should take care of it. They may still try to sue you, but you can use the SOL as your defense in court to get it dismissed. Below is a website with sample letters that should help you.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/

Good luck.

boonehead

And do not send them any money. once you do, the SOL starts over from last activity on the account. which would be any payment you send them

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">