• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card/Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

groupprez

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My question concerns an employer's ability to hire/fire/deny promotion based on personal financial choices. Here's the situation:

I interviewed (and was subsequently hired) for a position as the Manager of Sales & Marketing. During the interview (3 months ago) I made it a clear point to discuss how the organization paid for travel. The answers were, 1) we will reimburse all business expenses after a trip with the employee putting up the money first, 2) we will grant a cash advance, and/or 3) we will pay for it on a company credit card. Sounds about average...

Here's the dilemma: My wife and I got into debt as a result of credit cards early in our marriage. We have not possessed a credit card for over 7 years and do not wish to get one. I recently planned a 4-day business trip and took the necessary steps (as outlined in policy) to request a cash advance for the trip. Upon my boss receiving my request, he ushered me into his office to discuss the trip (and more importantly the large cash advance). I briefly explained my PERSONAL situation and then he went on to say, "Wow, we should have talked about this in the interview" and "Will you apply for a credit card now?"

While there has not been any negative repercussion, I definitely feel the negative vibes. I want to ensure that if this situation starts to turn the wrong way, I have a leg to stand on. So, can an employer make it mandatory for an employee to possess a PERSONAL line of credit in order to carry out the duties of his/her job (as required/requested by the employer)?

I don't mind the travel even though it is a personal sacrifice. However, can an employer legally make it an issue for an employee to take on credit? This puzzles me and I would like to hear from someone with knowledge in this area.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">