• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhurst423

The state that i am in is UT and he is in NY

So there was this guy and he gave me his banking info to pay off my credit card (yes stupid i know- what can you say drinks were involved on my end) in turn i would get him a game stop gift card. I stupidly went and said yes and payed my bill because i thought there was no way it was true. now he is claiming that he is going to call the cops on me saying that i wont go and get him a 400 dollar gift card. what can i do / what can happen?

PayrollHRGuy

So the deal was he gave you his banking info (what kind of banking info?) to pay off you CC.

How did you use the info to pay off your card and when?

CdwJava

If this is truly how it went down, the cops are not going to get involved as it is a civil matter and not a criminal one. If the other guy wants to take you to Small Claims Court, he is free to try.

bcr229

Do not send the gift card.

Also plan for the contingency that the bank info you were given was stolen/hacked from someone else. You may have to pay that money back or the bank may reverse the payment if the real account holder disputes it.

quincy

The state that i am in is UT and he is in NY

So there was this guy and he gave me his banking info to pay off my credit card (yes stupid i know- what can you say drinks were involved on my end) in turn i would get him a game stop gift card. I stupidly went and said yes and payed my bill because i thought there was no way it was true. now he is claiming that he is going to call the cops on me saying that i wont go and get him a 400 dollar gift card. what can i do / what can happen?
Where did you meet this fellow? In person over drinks in Utah or New York, or online after drinks were consumed by you?

Has the bill actually been paid - or was the credit card information declined?

quincy

I would contact ICE department ICE3. Because it sounds like it was over state lines. Were you in the same state or were you online? They would be able to help you and yes ice does handle anything that is considered federal if it crosses state lines.
This thread is from November 2019. jhurst has not been seen on the forum since the date of first posting.

The issue probably has been resolved by now.

Edit to add: It is not ICE3 but IC3 (the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center - ic3.gov).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">