• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card going to make judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rejk

What is the name of your state? ohio

I am a divorced single mom. When I was married we had a joint credit card and I got it through the divorce. When I was married I lived in New Mexico and now live in the state of Ohio for the last seven years. They are saying they are going to make judgement. I called them to see if I could settle this matter. Of course they came down very little from what they are saying I owe and would take 1000 down and 200 a month, unfortunately I can't afford that so I am not sure what to do.

Debt Guy

The Ohio statute of limitations is really long - 15 years. So, no help for you there.

Also, your wages can be garnished in Ohio -- they can take up to 25% of your after tax pay.

For a collector, this becomes the floor. If they can get 25% of your pay every week, why would they take less in a payment plan? The won't.

An alternative to consider is bankruptcy. This is not a decision to make lightly but one you need to make quickly since the law is about to change that will make it much more difficult to discharge debts in BK.

rejk

Debt Guy said:
The Ohio statute of limitations is really long - 15 years. So, no help for you there.

Also, your wages can be garnished in Ohio -- they can take up to 25% of your after tax pay.

For a collector, this becomes the floor. If they can get 25% of your pay every week, why would they take less in a payment plan? The won't.

An alternative to consider is bankruptcy. This is not a decision to make lightly but one you need to make quickly since the law is about to change that will make it much more difficult to discharge debts in BK.
Can I file bankruptcy just on credit cards. I have a house I am paying for and a car and I don't want them involved.

Tayla

Saying they are taking this matter to court and Actually doing so are two different things. If you have been served.File your response and show up at the hearing.

rejk

They said I have until the 23rd of the month or they will file judgment. They want 1000.00 down and 200.00 a month which I don't have. If they would garnish my wages I don't know what I would do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">