• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You cant squeeze blood out of a turnip
Just as an aside, this is one of those phrases that gets badly mangled by a lot of people. The original phrase is that you "cannot get blood from a stone". Authors through the years have made various plays on words or jokes by altering this phrase in some way, which then readers misunderstand and apply as though it were the original. Getting blood from a turnip seems to be a popular North American version of the phrase and generally would be acceptable, too. Still, IMO, the stone version better conveys the idea.

A number of other variations, however, simply mangle a very nice phrase.
:rolleyes:

quincy

... The original phrase is that you "cannot get blood from a stone". Authors through the years have made various plays on words or jokes by altering this phrase in some way, which then readers misunderstand and apply as though it were the original ...!

The origin of the phrase “blood from a turnip” is unknown but before “blood from a stone” there was a “honey from a stone” version.

Thank you. Would you be able to give me a name of an attorney in Napa California that I could get a free consultation about this?
Here is a link to Napa area legal aid:
https://lawhelpca.org/org/bay-area-legal-aid-Napa-regional-office

Because of your mother’s age and income, she should be eligible for free legal assistance for seniors.

Good luck.

LdiJ

I'm inclined to tell her to stop payment. She gets less money monthly than what it costs for her to stay where she lives. She pays a portion of her monthly bill there and my brother and myself pay the difference. I leave just enough in account to pay for her prescriptions. By the time she pays those when her payment comes out for the discover bill it puts in the negative.
Yes, you should tell her to stop the automatic payments. You should also leave enough in her account for her to pay for some personal items as well. Shampoo, soap, deodorant, toilet paper, etc. etc.

quincy

There should be enough money in the account from social security if payments to Discover stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">