• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Screwing Me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JML1976

What is the name of your state? MA

A few years back I opened an account with Newport News a clothing catalog through FCNB(First Consumers National Bank) I was terribly unhappy with the cards services and even more so with the Customer service so I cancelled the card with a balance on it of $400.00 - FCNB declared bankruptcy about a year ago (which I was not aware of until last night). A new company now collects for this account - Card processing center in Old Bethpage NY - I have noticed that no matter when I send my payment in it is always posted late and my account is charged late fees in the amount of $35.00 the balance seems to keep going up and up while I still pay - I now have a $750.00 balance on a card I have not used in years.
I have tried contacting the bank - there is only an automated voicemail that states if you have a problem send a letter in the mail - As if anyone would respond. While trying to research this bank - I found several sites with people posting the exact situation as I have. And no one knows what to do about it.
People have mentioned a class action suit - but no one has acted on it
Do I continue to pay for a card that keep accruing late fees? and other bogus charges?? What do I do ?- I have already been paying for a couple of years and the balance just increases.

Did you close the account a few years back? I had a FCNB Eddie Bauer, and they sent a notice in the mail that they would be stopping charging privileges for all cardholders. I forget when, but I remember getting it, maybe a couple years ago or so... Luckily, I had no balance at the time. You should have gotten one of these notices, assuming your address was correct, in which case you should have acted at that time to pay the bill.

What happened? Did you move, let your account go to collections?

My suggestion is that you somehow pay the entire amount off fully, and by check, so you have a record of the pay date. Depending on how many times they charged you, you may be better off just paying this off than to waste too much time with it.

JML1976

I cancelled the card when it was still FCNB - it had a balance on it - But I have always paid the bill monthly and have never been late sending in payments. I just found out (through my own research) that FCNB went under and a new company took the FCNB accounts over. I never received notice from them of this change. My problem is that no matter when I send my payment in (meaning no matter how early) I still get charged a late fee of $35.00 - for example

My payment due is the 28th - on my statement it shows late fee $35.00 on 28th - payment received the 29th. - they always post my payment the day after it should be posted - and I am certain I send it in with ample time for processing - I have been paying on this card consistently and the balance just goes up not down - I havent charged anything (obviously since the acct was closed) in years
This account has never gone to collections and my statements come in at random...They are listed on the BBB with hundreds of complaints pertaining to billing

Ladynred

FCNB went into bankruptcy over a year ago and, as you found, there HAVE been problems with the handling of the accounts. Send in the next couple of payments by some method that will get you a signature and a receipt for when it was received. It is against the law for them to deliberately hold payments just to make them late and to charge you fees. FUSA used to do this, as did Household and they got smacked with lawsuits for it. If you can prove they are doing this, its time to do something about it.

Try going over to www.creditboards.com and find out if anyone else is dealing with the same thing. Tons of people over there that might have names and/or addresses for whoever is handling the accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">