• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Theft And Usage : Can't Get Worse Then This!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redandwild69

I am 18 years of age and have no previous criminal records. I am being presented with several charges of theft against me. The first charge is for stealing a credit card which is a misdameanor the next three charges are for going into three seperate stores and using the card which is a felany and finally the last three charges are for signing the reciepts which is also a felany. I do not know what to do, but I did return all the items that were purchased except a three dollar amount that was charged on food. I wrote a statment and sent it into the officer like he wanted me to. He never read me my rights, he just told me to appear in court when I recieved a date in the mail. He said they had no reason to arrest me right now.
I enrolled myself into one on one counseling sessions hoping that they would help me to figure out why I have been going on such a bad path and to help ease what all this has brought upon me. I want to notify the judge and the DA since they just recieved my case and it could be awhile before I go to court that I have gotton a job and I am not on unemployment any more and that I started counseling, but I do not know how to do that without incriminating myself any more. I want to make restitution for everything that I have done and show the judge how dedicated I am to making things right. I am scared of what the DA's decision will be on what to do with the case and were I will go from there. What should I plee? Are they going to provide me with a lawyer before I make my plee? What kind of time could I possibly do for these kind of offenses? Please offer any suggestions that you can!

Can't Get Worse Then This

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redandwild69:
I am 18 years of age and have no previous criminal records. I am being presented with several charges of theft against me. The first charge is for stealing a credit card which is a misdameanor the next three charges are for going into three seperate stores and using the card which is a felany and finally the last three charges are for signing the reciepts which is also a felany. I do not know what to do, but I did return all the items that were purchased except a three dollar amount that was charged on food. I wrote a statment and sent it into the officer like he wanted me to. He never read me my rights, he just told me to appear in court when I recieved a date in the mail. He said they had no reason to arrest me right now.
I enrolled myself into one on one counseling sessions hoping that they would help me to figure out why I have been going on such a bad path and to help ease what all this has brought upon me. I want to notify the judge and the DA since they just recieved my case and it could be awhile before I go to court that I have gotton a job and I am not on unemployment any more and that I started counseling, but I do not know how to do that without incriminating myself any more. I want to make restitution for everything that I have done and show the judge how dedicated I am to making things right. I am scared of what the DA's decision will be on what to do with the case and were I will go from there. What should I plee? Are they going to provide me with a lawyer before I make my plee? What kind of time could I possibly do for these kind of offenses? Please offer any suggestions that you can!

Can't Get Worse Then This

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Calm down. You're not going to prison.

If they were going to sentence you to jail or prison, they would have taken you away right then and there. Instead, they realize you're not a "flight risk" and instead, gave you an "on recognizance" appearance ticket.

Now, you are entitled to an attorney, at no cost to you, if you cannot afford one. You'll discuss with that attorney how you should plead. The absolute worst that's going to happen is:

1. You'll get a stern, pissed off judge, giving you the "riot act."

2. A hefty fine, and payment of court costs, and attorney fees (Yes, that's right).

3. About 100 to 200 hours of community service (not fun).

4. Probation (1 to 3 years).

5. An order for restitution.

And, damn it - - Don't EVER do something stupid again. You KNOW BETTER than that. Who do you think pays for Credit Card fraud? The tooth fairy? No. It's all of us, in terms of higher interest rates and costs for goods and services.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">