• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit cards got in my name by an individual out of state with same name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathleen21

Recently when applying for a mortgage loan I was asked why I had about 20 new inquiries on my credit report. Come to find out someone sharing the same first and last name as me had passed my ssn (I guess this person had someone she knew pull credit on all same names) out to creditors in order to receive credit. Two new accounts were created, and charges have already racked up, and my credit score has shot down...what and can I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kathleen21 said:
Recently when applying for a mortgage loan I was asked why I had about 20 new inquiries on my credit report. Come to find out someone sharing the same first and last name as me had passed my ssn (I guess this person had someone she knew pull credit on all same names) out to creditors in order to receive credit. Two new accounts were created, and charges have already racked up, and my credit score has shot down...what and can I do?
My response:

Read, learn, take action:

http://www.feelsafeagain.com/identitytheft.html

IAAL

bigun

Right off the bat, file a police report and then contact the cc companies involved and ask for the fraud dept. Inform them off the problem and get a name and an address to send the police report. Send it return receipt. Then, do the same thing with the credit bureau. Give them a week and rattle the cage. If they haven't sent the correct info to the credit bureau or if the credit bureau hasn't contacted the cc companies, get a lawyer. You got real damages to sue for. The opportunity to buy a house while interest rates are at 30 year lows.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">