• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit cards under two names?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2young4this

What is the name of your state?MN

Several years ago, I requested extra cards for my fiancee's name under two of my credit card accounts, on the theory that they'd still be my accounts, but she'd have a card she could use if needed (she didn't have a card and was unemployed due to pregnancy at the time).

Fast-forward to day, I'm getting ready to file a chapter 7 and she ended her checking account at a certain bank and went to my bank to open a checking account. The credit check turned up my two accounts that had cards under her SSN (not just name, her SSN).

My questions:
1) If I file bankruptcy, are they going to try to get their money back from her?
2) How difficult is it to 'cancel' those cards, remove her name from my accounts, whatever?
3) Have I, in fact, accidently screwed over her credit?

racer72

1. You can count on it.
2. You can't cancel a credit card till the account is paid in full.
3. Oh yeah.....

2young4this

Turns out it wan't a big deal; both companies acknowledged she was just an authorized user, theorized that the credit reporting company (Transunion) had screwed up, and after talking with them and with TU, things should be fine in a week to 30 days.

Yay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">