• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Counseling pros/cons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newstart

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have about 25,000 in cc debt. Wife and I are both employed with good jobs we're just getting behind, not missing, just behind in paying our bills and are starting to get the calls every month. We should not be living paycheck to paycheck with what we make.

Anyway, been looking at counseling(just info on the net now) because I know it will take forever to pay off the CC's since all we ever do is pay the minimum(and it's always a week or two late) and we want to pay off but can't do it on our own right now. We own a house but don't have enough equity to pay off the debt.

My main question is: What happens to your credit rating if you use a credit counseling service like Ameridebt?

bigun

Most creditors will note your accounts as, "included in credit couneling". It's my understanding that once you complete the program, they will remove the notation. Have you inquired about hardship programs from the cc companies themselves?
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, it means 2 things. You have no solid budget and, you're living above your means. I think I'd sit down with my spouse and just start going over expenditures and start cutting back. Take the stance that if you can't p;ay cash at the point of sale, you can't afford it and put the charge cards in the sock drawer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">