• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit over 7 years with current date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? I am in Texas and have department stores from college that are still on my credit report as charge off's or slow pay's many of these debts are 8 years old some are close to 10 how ever my husband and I went to purchase a car and they showed up with current dates. what date decides the 7 year mark? Closed date or date of last activity? and how do you get them off?


Senior Member
Negative entries can ONLY stay on your report for 7 years. The 7 year 'clock' is started with the date of last activity that immediately precedes charge-off.

If the date of last activity have been changed from the original creditor's entry, then it has been illegally re-aged. Per the FCRA:

"§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports [15 U.S.C. § 1681c]

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer
report containing any of the following items of information:

(4) Accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years.1

(c) Running of reporting period.
(1) In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6)2 of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection
(internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.

(2) Effective date. Paragraph (1) shall apply only to items of information added to the file of a consumer on or after the date that is 455 days after the date of enactment of the Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act of 1996."

If there are charge-offs more than 7 years old on the report, you need to dispute them as obsolete and/or illegally re-aged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential