• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Report Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlbujak

Is it possible to sue a credit reporting company, such as Trans Union or Experian for reporting wrong information?
My situation goes as follows:
My husband and his father have the same first and last name, different middle names. When my husband's father passed away 3 years ago he left some bad debt. The bad debt turned up on my husband credit report by mistake. We have letters from the credit companies showing that my husband is not liable and have forwarded this information to the credit reporting companies and nothing has been done. Now every time we try to apply for credit, it brings up the bad debt and we go through a huge ordeal to get approved. So, is a legal suit the way to go to fix this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jlbujak said:
Is it possible to sue a credit reporting company, such as Trans Union or Experian for reporting wrong information?
My situation goes as follows:
My husband and his father have the same first and last name, different middle names. When my husband's father passed away 3 years ago he left some bad debt. The bad debt turned up on my husband credit report by mistake. We have letters from the credit companies showing that my husband is not liable and have forwarded this information to the credit reporting companies and nothing has been done. Now every time we try to apply for credit, it brings up the bad debt and we go through a huge ordeal to get approved. So, is a legal suit the way to go to fix this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
My response:

Tell me EXACTLY what documents and Social Security numbers were delivered to Experian to demonstrate to them that there is this mix-up. Letters describing the mix-up is not enough.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">