• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Union continued to pay me in error after parent's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandi Vargas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My Father passed away 5/04 and my Mother had already passed away 6/01. When my Father passed away he was receiving benefits from my Mother's credit union, through her former employer, the County of San Mateo, CA. The credit union picked up my social security number in error - this was NOT due to me giving it to them in error, they made the error themselves and kept depositing money into an account they assumed was my Mother's - even though I notified them when my Mom died (NOTE, I don't know if I can find record of notifying them but I clearly remember going to the office and providing a death certificate to them which they probably have.) I ASSUMED the money was due to a life insurance policy so I kept spending it, to the tune of about $10K or so. Now, they want the money back. I told them I don't have it (I don't, I am self-employed and business is what it is for most self-employed event consultants during this economy.) The credit union wants me to pay up and wants to put a lien on my house. They are wiling to work with me on a payment plan, but want to put the lien on my house. Must I comply?:(What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CaliforniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

You need to get an official explanation in writing of what the money was paid for so you can help determine if you were legally entitled to keep it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">