• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Union fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New Mexico.

I bank with a local credit union, just a regular checking and savings account with a few CD's, never any mobile banking, as I don't have a smart phone.
Logging onto the CU site from my desktop I received the; "We are updating our terms and conditions, please acknowledge you agree to the changes", and until you do you are at a dead stop.
But reading the terms and conditions it has the standard "We will sell your e-mail and cell phone number to everyone, but you can opt out" line.
Fair enough, but to opt out they can charge a fee of $20 for me not to receive junk e-mails and phone calls (including robo calls).
Is this fee legal?

adjusterjack

When you enrolled in the credit union you agree to this crap.

Time to find another bank.

Though I suspect you'll be charged a fee for leaving.

Which you also agreed to.

Bali Hai Again

What is the name of your state? New Mexico.

I bank with a local credit union, just a regular checking and savings account with a few CD's, never any mobile banking, as I don't have a smart phone.
Logging onto the CU site from my desktop I received the; "We are updating our terms and conditions, please acknowledge you agree to the changes", and until you do you are at a dead stop.
But reading the terms and conditions it has the standard "We will sell your e-mail and cell phone number to everyone, but you can opt out" line.
Fair enough, but to opt out they can charge a fee of $20 for me not to receive junk e-mails and phone calls (including robo calls).
Is this fee legal?
Check in with the White House. They are allegedly getting rid of these “junk fees”.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/10/11/biden-harris-administration-announces-broad-new-actions-to-protect-consumers-from-billions-in-junk-fees/#:~:text=Today, the Biden-Harris Administration,the full price up front.

When you enrolled in the credit union you agree to this crap.

Time to find another bank.

Though I suspect you'll be charged a fee for leaving.

Which you also agreed to.
It was never in the original terms and conditions, but it's been added to the 'updated' terms.
Adobe tried to update their terms and it sparked an uproar. So maybe as you say, I'll just change banks.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/adobe-sparks-backlash-over-ai-terms-that-let-it-access-view-your-content

I saw that, but it's still going round in circles with the FTC, and with the chaos that is Joe 'clueless' Biden and Kamala 'giggles' Harris, I'm not holding my breath for any changes soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">