• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditor keeps asking for spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadsam

What is the name of your state? VA

Due to my illness my husband had to take time off from work resulting in my husband having a credit card become past due. Six weeks ago it was 3 payments past due but in the last 4 weeks he has paid up to now he is 30 days past due and next week he will be caught up. He has contacted them and notified them via e-mail every week so that the creditor knows exactly when he will be making another payment. During this time though they keep calling wanting to speak to his wife. I am not on any of his credit cards, not even as a AU. They don't know my name just ask to speak to his wife. I did not think I was responsible for this debt (no, I did not benefit from any purchases that were made on it). Is the company able to speak with just anyone regarding this debt? They have also called my husband's office and his secretary called me and told me they call sometimes 3 or 4 time within a 3 hour time period leaving the same message everytime. When I deny that I am the wife but I am glad to take a message is that illegal?

sadsam

Don't talk to them.

Thank you for your response. I have tried just letting the machine pick up the calls but then the same creditor keeps calling, sometimes 3 to 4 times an hour thru the day and then they start calling my husbands office. I find if I answer and take a message they stop calling until the next day and don't call the office.

Ladynred

Unfortunately, you are dealing with the original creditor and they can pretty much do any damn thing they want to.

There is NO reason for them to speak to 'his wife', but I'll bet they think you're the 'weak' one and will cave in and fork over money sooner. Sounds like they're going to get paid in full pretty soon, so until then you'll just have to avoid the phone calls, hang up on them, whatever. You are NOT liable for his debts and cannot be made to pay them anything.

If you talk to them, tell them they'll get the rest of their money and to get stuffed in the meantime.. then hang up. Turn off the ringer if you have to to get some peace. Let 'em talk to the answering machine. Or, pick up the phone, turn on a loud obnoxious rap station on a radio and lay the phone down next to it.. they'll go away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">