• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditor trying to sue...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

averys

I recently received a letter from a law firm that stated a creditor was trying to sue me. I never received a summons. However I entered into a payment plan with the credit management company. Will the law firm still pursue the lawsuit?

LdiJ

I recently received a letter from a law firm that stated a creditor was trying to sue me. I never received a summons. However I entered into a payment plan with the credit management company. Will the law firm still pursue the lawsuit?
You did exactly what the attorney wanted you to do. That letter was intended to scare you into setting up a payment plan. As long as you honor the payment plan, you won't be sued.

averys

You did exactly what the attorney wanted you to do. That letter was intended to scare you into setting up a payment plan. As long as you honor the payment plan, you won't be sued.
It was not the same law firm-it was a law firm attempting to solicit my business and defend me.

LdiJ

It was not the same law firm-it was a law firm attempting to solicit my business and defend me.
Ok, that is odd. If you do get sued, defend yourself on the basis that you have an installment plan set up with the creditor, that you are honoring.

Litigator22

What law firm "was not the same law firm"? You've mentioned only one law firm; the one that offered to defend you in a potential lawsuit to collect a debt. And according to your posts there is not current lawsuit because of your payment plan with the creditor.

Are you fearful that the firm that solitude your business to defend a potential lawsuit by a creditor would subsequently represent the same creditor in a suit against you? That the creditor might file despite the payment plan?

Let's kill all the birds (real or imagined) with one stone by getting a letter from the creditor noting the payment plan and its agreement to abstain from filing any lawsuit by any law firm provided that you comply with the plan. Then keep accurate records of your payments.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">