• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditors want $$$ upfront before settlement letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debtsucks

What is the name of your state? OR

I'm trying to work out a settlement with my CC company. A little over a month ago, they send me a settlement letter, but only gave me 7 days to pay, which was impossible for me to get the money or loan. Anyhow, I'm still trying to work with them to send out another letter with another effective date. Now they simply won't send out another settlement letter unless I pay them a month's payment with check by phone. The guy I talked to has verbally told me that the money upfront here will be deducted from the settlement amount that we agreed upon. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I want to get some advice from you guys/gals first. Is this stuff normal? Me personaly, I don't want to pay anything without such a thing in writing. The account will be 6-mos past due on the 18th of this month. What usually happens then?

Thanks for your time and help.

dequeendistress

Do NOT pay by check over the phone.

What you describe is normal. Unfortunately...

I don't want to give you bad or insufficient advice or reason, I am sure someone will give you a full answer soon...

I just wanted to tell you before they called you again and used high pressure tactics to get you to pay by phone...

I did that in the past and it lead to serious problems...such as more than one check being run, checks for larger amounts etc.

JETX

That is correct. The minute you give them access to your account (check by phone), there is a HIGH chance that they will 'make a mistake' and either withdraw too much or do it repeatedly 'in error'. And once they have your money, you will never, ever get it back..... even if they did admit the 'mistake'.

Simply tell them, if they are interested in settling this matter, they need to submit the 'offer' to you in writing. Anything other than that will be ignored.

D

debtsucks

Yeap, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Thanks for confirming it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">