• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryzjet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My father died three weeks ago, and when I called his creditors (2) to report this, they said I would be responsbile for the balances. I thought by law I was so I agreed but now I find out I am NOT responsbile. Can they still make me pay since they basically lied to me?
Thank you

anteater

How did you "agree?" Sign anything?

Your father's probate estate would responsible for satisfying creditor claims. Did he have any assets? Will his estate go through probate?

bryzjet

Signed paper before I knew I was not responsbile for my father's debts. He has not assets/money.

j991

Your fathers estate is responsible for the debts. If you are the executor of the estate then it is your responsible to ensure that those debts are paid before any other assests are distributed to family, etc. If you are not the executor of the estate, then you are not responsible for the debts.

tecate

What does the signed paper say?

More importantly, other than your word, what proof do you have that the creditor misled you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">