• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cremation not specified in Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

passingby

What is the name of your state? VA

Does anyone know if a person has NOT specified in a will or other notarized document that they wish to be cremated upon death what is legally required of crematories before they can cremate the remains?

When my mom died my brother said she'd told him she wanted to be cremated. The rest of us(her other children) protested because we'd never heard her say that and we didn't want her cremated, but brother said he was doing what mom wanted period. So he went down and contracted for her cremation.

Now I find out that the director at the crematorium asked my brother if the cremation was ok with the rest of us and brother told him YES! The director told me that they were supposed to get all the kids to sign off on the cremation but they didn't because brother convinced them we were not going to make a fuss. This was the first I knew I could have stopped the cremation! So I told the director that and then he says, 'usually' they get everyone to sign.

So now I need to know if they HAVE to get signatures or not?

Any help here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">