• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminai mischief

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



hello, ijust got out of court and an still very angry so i'll try to keep this short and simple. I'm a 27 year old male who was arrested last sept. for dammage caused at a place i was renting. now there was two other persons living there, i was the only one arrested. and i had witnesses that one of the other roommates did the dammage, but my lawer said that it was hear say and they could not be used so i took the plea deal.
now the deal was that i took the lesser included charge with a year probation and restitution to be assesed in a latter court date. my lawer told me that under state guide lines i could have 5 years to pay it cause it was a large amount of money. well the the judge said the state did not have a way to punish me after a year so i now have a year to pay a sum that i can not afford and i will have my probation violated and go to jail cause i have 5 childern that i support and i can not afford to pay 300$ a month for a year now it's my understanding that in the constitution they can not put a fine or penataly that i could not possibily be able to pay? right please some-one help me should i file for an appeal? or am i stuck thank you for your time
screwed for sure



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Immediately seek out a legal aid attorney to help you. As to your question about paying back something you possibly cannot afford: you caused it you pay. This is not part of the 8th amendment rights you have against excess punishment.

As to your facts about other tenants/roommates, were they on the lease? Did they get any type of responsibility -- criminal or civil?

Get a lawyer to talk to you about what you can possibly do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential