• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminal law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

foxden3

I have been charged with illegal aquisition of a controlled substance-calling in and picking up prescription medications without MD authorization. My pre-trial is less than two weeks away. Due to these pending charges, I have lost my job and now cannot afford private counsel. I will probably be forced to represent myself. How can I prepare for this??
Thank You!
Shawna Barlow-Farmington, IL.

G

glynn

I too was charged with prescription fraud of picking up prescriptions I called in for myself am also RN let me know how you do. The DAs office where I live said is usually fine and probation. I can say the police DAs off Dectives have been very supportive. I know I did wrong and want to get on with my life. I was arrested Aug. # and havenot been charged yet. the dective said I should know something this next. Let me know how it all comes out. Can't you ask for public defender, or callfor level aid Good luck. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foxden3:
I have been charged with illegal aquisition of a controlled substance-calling in and picking up prescription medications without MD authorization. My pre-trial is less than two weeks away. Due to these pending charges, I have lost my job and now cannot afford private counsel. I will probably be forced to represent myself. How can I prepare for this??
Thank You!
Shawna Barlow-Farmington, IL.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

File for a public defender. At the very least, you need to spend some time with an attorney going over the issues & outlining your defense. You should also file a motion for a continuance to allow you to obtain a PD.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 04, 2000).]

F

foxden3

Thank You for your response. Do I need to wait and request a PD and/or a continuance at the pre-trial? Is there a way to do so prior to the pre-trial?
Thanks again!!
Sincerely,
Shawna Barlow
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
File for a public defender. At the very least, you need to spend some time with an attorney going over the issues & outlining your defense. You should also file a motion for a continuance to allow you to obtain a PD.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

The sooner you file the motion for a PD, the better. You might get the SA to agree to a continuance on your own, but be careful you don't waive your right to a speedy trial. The sooner trial starts, the more pressure on the SA to plea bargain.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">