• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New Teacher

Several years ago, when I was younger and more brash, I was arrested. I don't know what the charge was. I didn't feel I deserved a ticket for being at the beach after hours and wasn't forthright with my name when the police officer asked. That's when she arrested me. When I appeared before the judge a few months later I pled "no contest" and paid a $20 fine. I just wanted the whole thing behind me. About five years after the incident I wrote the court to find out what the charge was. They wrote back and said that they had no record on me. I have had a few jobs since that incident which have required background checks and I have had no problem. But, now that I'm trying to get a teaching job the background checks are showing an arrest. I paid a lot of money to go to school and get my credential. How can I find out what the arrest was for so I can get work?



You can go to the county court house where the charge was and go to the clerk's office (district or county) and request a copy of your criminal charges. It costs around $10.00. You will have to show your valid drivers license, sign a paper that allows the information to be gathered, and it takes around 10 minutes to get. It is standard procedure for many jobs and security clearances. I don't know how you would do it by mail if it happened somewhere else but usually, the clerks are very helpful and will lead you through the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential